General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-Nov-15 15:51:49
Print Post

lamps, baby monitors responsible for slow broadband

[link to this post]

According to Ofcom
Your lamp or baby monitor is responsible for slow broadband, Ofcom says

One in five households is suffering from poor Internet connection because their router is placed too close to a lamp, phone, stereo or baby monitor, the telecoms watchdog warns.

Sharon White, chief executive of Ofcom, says many homes receive a fast broadband connection through their phone line, only for the signal to be hit by "interference" on its way to a computer or tablet.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 07-Nov-15 16:15:17
Print Post

Re: lamps, baby monitors responsible for slow broadband

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
According to Ofcom
Your lamp or baby monitor is responsible for slow broadband, Ofcom says

One in five households is suffering from poor Internet connection because their router is placed too close to a lamp, phone, stereo or baby monitor, the telecoms watchdog warns.

Sharon White, chief executive of Ofcom, says many homes receive a fast broadband connection through their phone line, only for the signal to be hit by "interference" on its way to a computer or tablet.

I read it earlier and it demonstrates how little she actually seems to understand.

She says the signal to be hit by "interference" on its way to a computer or tablet which, as you and I know, is nothing to do with the broadband connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-15 16:21:26
Print Post

lol useless twit x)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Nov-15 16:44:21
Print Post

The regulator is also concerned that some people have failed to protect their broadband connection with a password. As more devices connect to a single router the signal becomes weaker, ....
Just like if too many people buy televisions or radios the signal gets weaker for each of them.

ROFL

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Nov-15 16:50:44
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Ye gods! Look at point 4 for improving your speed. (Though I'm not sure the list is from Ofcom or the Telegraph).
Make sure your home has the most up-to-date main phone socket and plug ‘microfilters’ into every phone socket in your home. They look like little white boxes and split the phone and broadband signals so that they don't interfere with each other.
All those millions of engineer-installed VDSL2 filters on the NTE5 are irrelevant then.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User JonDav
(experienced) Sat 07-Nov-15 19:06:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just like if too many people buy televisions or radios the signal gets weaker for each of them.
There is an easy way to speed signals up on net connections, TV and radio connections.

All you do is fix whatever wires carry the signals up as high as you can. Then gravity makes the signals run down the wires a lot quicker.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Nov-15 19:14:00
Print Post

[re: JonDav] [link to this post]

Ahhhh! So that's why the TV and radio masts are on top of hills, and why the final drop is from an aerial on the house roof to give the signal a good run down the wire, as the resistance of that is greater than that of air so a gradual slope is enough for mast >> aerial.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Nov-15 19:31:41
Print Post

[re: JonDav] [link to this post]

I reckon you're 146 days early with that post

(or 220 days too late)

wink wink

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Nov-15 19:39:28
Print Post

Some slightly odd wording used but we have heard all this talk before in terms of helping consumers etc

Some of the stuff sounds like a duplication of what we already do via https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Nov-15 20:05:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A lot of the article, other than the direct quotes from Sharon White, could have been a resume of the most common topics on this site on how to maximise both your sync and router <<>> device speeds.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to