General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Mon 09-Nov-15 15:43:57
Print Post

Sky Broadband disconnecting a lot.

[link to this post]

Hello again smile

I'm having problems with my sky broadband again. about once a month the broadband likes to disconnect about 100 times in the same day, this is now the 3rd month its happened and the 3rd day of the problem.

What happens is as im looking at the router stats as its disconnecting the noise margin goes all the way down to 0 db on upstream and then disconnects the broadband as seen below

Connection Speed 9165 kbps 799 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 24.6 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 0.0 dB

im trying to find the route of the problem to stop it happening again so im hoping the intelligent folk of this forum might have an idea so i can pass it along to the engineer that is visiting tomorrow to try get this fixed once and for all

Thankyou.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Nov-15 15:46:19
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband disconnecting a lot.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Presume it does this when in the test socket too? i.e. ruling out extension wiring

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Mon 09-Nov-15 15:53:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron, thanks for the reply.

It does yes, no extensions at all in the house, comes from outside line straight into the master socket, have changed filters twice and threw them in the test socket but problem is still happening. Sky seems to have figured out a temporary fix but happens around once each month and a reset of the line seems to fix it for a time.

Was hoping for something that might cause upstream noise margin to drop.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:09:07
Print Post

My guess would be Sky's equipment in the exchange, but with such infrequency it is going to be nigh on impossible to prove.

Do stats at 'good' times give no clue at all ?

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:14:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

No none at all unfortunately. The connections great at good times with a noise margin of 6 on downstream and 15 on upstream and is very reliable with a disconnection maybe once per week sometimes not even that.

The problems baffled the other 2 engineers that visited last time.

Don't want to move away from sky as they are the only ones that offer adsl2 plus services and get a decent and reliable speed with them when it does work.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:18:33
Print Post

and is very reliable with a disconnection maybe once per week sometimes not even that.

Except of course that I wouldn't expect even that. My old ADSL service would stay up for a months at a time.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:23:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Maybe capping the upload speed at say 650 Kbps and shaving a fraction off the download, achievable by increasing target noise margin might increase stability.

The upstream signal is weakest at the exchange end, so jumpering or even some monthly task on the LLU DSLAM may be an issue, or a slightly dodgy splitter/filter that is not fully doing its job at exchange end

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:36:05
Print Post

he upstream signal is weakest at the exchange end, so jumpering or even some monthly task on the LLU DSLAM may be an issue, or a slightly dodgy splitter/filter that is not fully doing its job at exchange end

You are presumably privy to info I don't got Mr.S smile

The issue the OP really has here is getting their CP to get OR to do something about it I suspect.

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:45:56
Print Post

well my first thought was instability when it first happened. but I've been syncing at around 9mbps down and 942 kbps up for about 3 weeks without problems. I remember in my last post someone thought interference but I'm honestly no quite sure myself. I'll see to the capping and see if the engineer can do anything about that. maybe throwing the noise margin at around 9db will fix the problem but not getting my hopes up.

I'll just let the engineer read through this to see if he can get any ideas from it.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:52:56
Print Post

The engineer will need to liaise with Sky, and persuade them that the target snr be pinned to 9db ..... this isn't as easy as perhaps it ought to be. By the same token for Sky to agree to a lift and shift can be equally tricky ..... They want it to be an Openreach issue, and therefore not pay for the visit.

Interference ? I hugely doubt it, and even if it is, the chance of an Openreach REIN engineer being able to find such a hugely intermittent source is VERY unlikely.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to