General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiendish
(newbie) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:18:53
Print Post

£50 if fault is within the boundaries of your property

[link to this post]

Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can help with this.

My mother has recently been charged £50 by John Lewis Broadband after an Openreach engineer replaced her master socket. John Lewis provide her line rental and broadband.

My understanding was that everything up to and including the master socket was the responsibility of Openreach, with any extensions and internal wiring after that the responsibility of the consumer.

Prior to the engineer visit they sent a message saying that:

"As agreed with you, If the engineer finds the fault to be within the boundaries of your property, the engineer will demonstrate to you where the problem exists and we will add a one off fee of £50 to your bill. The same fee will apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel the appointment within 48 hours of the engineer visit time. This charge will appear within 90 days of the engineer visiting your property.

We are very stringent on accepting and passing on these charges and protecting both you and us from paying a charge. "

The engineer who visited said the socket had been shorted, probably by a storm, which there had recently been.

Is this charging now common with all ISPs? It seems extremely unfair to be passing on these fees if this equipment is Openreach's responsibility.

Ollie
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:24:27
Print Post

Re: £50 if fault is within the boundaries of your property

[re: fiendish] [link to this post]

Openreach will charge if a fault is on customers own wiring or is due to damage to Openreach network, I. E. Damp that damaged the socket or lightening damage

Edited by Ribble (Sun 15-Nov-15 15:25:29)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:29:23
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

£50 is better than £130 which is what their brethren BT Retail charge

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fiendish
(newbie) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:40:48
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Yes damp would seem fair enough given that is something the customer can remedy but lightning? The only way to stop that would be surge protection within the socket itself wouldn't it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:44:04
Print Post

It has surge protection, but once its worked once it will never work again, i.e. it creates an air gap but will not stop a direct strike. Most consumer surge protectors are similar for lightning protection, or worse they do nothing and its just an insurance policy that is very difficult to paid out on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Nov-15 19:32:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
It has surge protection, but once its worked once it will never work again, i.e. it creates an air gap but will not stop a direct strike. Most consumer surge protectors are similar for lightning protection, or worse they do nothing and its just an insurance policy that is very difficult to paid out on.
Agreed, a lightning storm took ours out a year or two ago, and its called a spark gap, a small version of a car spark plug LOL.

I ended up replacing the spark gap with a new one and has been working fine since.

Paul
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Nov-15 19:37:52
Print Post

If it is an Openreach mastersocket which has been damaged during a lightening storm causing the phone to be out of order then in mine and others' experiences in the rural area we all stay in there has never been a charge passed onto us all by our ISPs.

The ISPs in question are Plusnet and BT and the OR engineer has told me on two occasions that there would not be a charge passed on to the end user, perhaps those particular OR master sockets in question had a known fail rate in certain bad weather conditions.

plusnet user
Standard User fiendish
(newbie) Sun 15-Nov-15 21:31:18
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Yes it's an Openreach master socket and storm damage seems most likely. The house is rural, on high ground.

John Lewis are adamant they will not remove the charge though. Is there anything else I can try to convince them or am I wasting my time?
Standard User Andso
(newbie) Sun 15-Nov-15 21:41:54
Print Post

Or in the case of Merula internet.. £180 .. I dunno where they make up these [censored] prices.
Standard User gerarda
(newbie) Sun 15-Nov-15 22:08:48
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

A couple of years ago when pruning a climbing plant I cut through a telephone/broadband wire which had come loose from its fastening on the wall. The engineer fixed it without quibble saying it was their fault it had come loose.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to