General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User btbert
(committed) Sat 21-Nov-15 18:07:47
Print Post

Re: £50 if fault is within the boundaries of your property

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

At Last someone has gived the right answer ! Right as in the TRC website states that you do not charge for lightning damage but some managers do tell there staff to charge ! The OPs SP needs to man up and do there job.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 21-Nov-15 21:32:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Click on the 2nd link in this part of the Ofcom web page:

"If eight weeks have passed since you first formally complained you can contact the ADR directly.

There are two ADR schemes -
, and the . All service providers must belong to one of the schemes."

Michael Chare
(experienced) Sat 21-Nov-15 21:38:41
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If the 'engineer' said the fault was caused by a lightning strike and John Lewis insist your mother pays, you could ask JL for a deadlock letter and then follow the dispute procedure below:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/complain/phone-and-bro...

Oh stop that "engineer" rubbish. It's just what they're called in this country, always have been. Get over it.

Sadly the issue has remained.

I remember a notice in the lift of the halls of residence I was in some time ago signed 'lift engineer'> It was appropriately corrected. (Not by me.)

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Nov-15 21:45:06
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Ahhh! I see what you mean now smile.

However, if you look to the right of those two links, you see "ADR checker", which give you a dropdown list of ISPs, for the user to find theirs with a link to it. That is where I was going, and JL/John Lewis does not appear.

That means using your link an enquirer has to take pot luck which of the three links link to try first. The ADR check seemed the obvious one to me.

I simply gave the information for John Lewis, taken from their website.

Either way gets there in the end. That's the most important thing.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(experienced) Sat 21-Nov-15 22:16:39
Print Post

smile

Michael Chare
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Nov-15 22:17:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
However, if you look to the right of those two links, you see "ADR checker", which give you a dropdown list of ISPs, for the user to find theirs with a link to it. That is where I was going, and JL/John Lewis does not appear.

Probably because people on John Lewis Broadband are actually contracted with Plusnet, so the listing for Plusnet applies.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Nov-15 22:36:56
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

We know that. I'm fairly sure 95%+ of John Lewis customers don't at the time they sign up. Probably including the OP.

I expect Ofcom apply the same test as thinkbroadband, though I haven't checked. That is, that to be an Ofcom-listed ISP it needs a RIPE IP address allocation.

Which doesn't alter the fact that as end-user retailers they need to be registered with an ADR.

Plus, [cough], the customers are not contracted with Plusnet. They are contracted with John Lewis, who subcontract the service supply to Plusnet. John Lewis could at any time move to a different subcontractor, taking their customers with them. Similar having happened many times. Most recently the Post Office and Tesco.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 21-Nov-15 22:46:19)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Nov-15 22:43:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Plus, [cough], the customers are not contracted with Plusnet. They are contracted with John Lewis, who subcontract the service supply to Plusnet.

They really are contracted directly with Plusnet.

Plusnet plc is the service provider under these Terms and Conditions and by agreeing to these terms and conditions you (the customer) will be contracting with us (Plusnet plc) for the provision of the John Lewis Broadband.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Nov-15 22:47:13
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Bah! Edited!
tongue smile

Standard User fiendish
(newbie) Thu 26-Nov-15 22:05:09
Print Post

Well I went through the John Lewis internal complaints procedure and to their credit, they have agreed that an act of god is not my mother's fault and have removed the £50 charge. My faith in humanity is restored, somewhat at least, though given this was explained to them over the phone ad nauseam it does seem a shame you have to go though all this caper before common sense prevails.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to