General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 22:22:53
Print Post

have I been reverted to ADSL Max ???

[link to this post]

Hey all.

Very windy here and lost connection 3 times now for about 30 mins and now seems to be back up but now we have lost about 300Kbps from our downstream and half our upstream.

This was our last test done about 5 days ago:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14473...

And after the 40 odd mins downtime:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14477...

Going by the upstream speed 430Kbps to me it seems that we have currently synced up as ADSL Max.

This is what we are currently syncing at on our HH4 (Type A)
DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 5.60 dB downstream
DSL line rate: 529 Kbps upstream, 6040 Kbps downstream

And this was what we normally sync up at:
DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
DSL line rate: 1060 Kbps upstream, 6360 Kbps downstream

and before then

DSL line rate: 1095 Kbps upstream, 6424 Kbps downstream

I am wondering how long do I have to wait before I do a reboot?
I normally wait several hours after the HH4 does its fortnightly reboot to get our correct speeds.

Also I guess its pointless rebooting while it still windy out there tongue

Paul
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Nov-15 22:32:37
Print Post

Re: have I been reverted to ADSL Max ???

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Wind shouldnt effect your connection should it? Unless the cabling was dodgy maybe.

Resync in the morning is always best when the sun is up, although resync at night usually effects download more than upload (going on experience)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 22:39:00
Print Post

And we lost connection again:
DSL line rate: 1076 Kbps upstream, 6133 Kbps downstream
DSL is down after 43 minutes uptime

Seems that we have got our upstream and now lost some downstream (approx. 300 to 400Kbps sync) LOL.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14477...

One thing I did notice this time was our phones was dead, so maybe a line fault due to the wind.

I will see how it goes and run some BT Tests and if still an issue tomorrow I will report it as a phone fault.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 22:50:48
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Wind shouldnt effect your connection should it? Unless the cabling was dodgy maybe.
Well our line has been dodgy for the last few years, to a point when it rains we lost our connections (on both lines) now only one line due to younger brother moved out.

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Resync in the morning is always best when the sun is up, although resync at night usually effects download more than upload (going on experience)
Well our sync speed is always low due to being on the last pole on the furthest cabinet of our exchange, so it never has been an issue when we reboot our HH4, but yeah I always try to reboot the early hours about 2am.

We have only had bad sync speeds like above when it rains heavy or when its very windy.

Sad thing in most of the time its normally just an intermittent fault so I don't report those, only when we was loosing our line every few mins I reported it, even BT Support that I was talking to on my mobile was getting very frustrated due to he couldn't complete any line tests due to it kept dropping, that resulted in a new PCP cabinet being installed a few feet from our old PCP cabinet (I mean very old).

Roll on end of the month where our local MP was told by somebody from BT's Head of parliamentary affairs a projected date for our FTTP to be ready,
So hopefully that would resolve all our issues, that's if it gets done then tongue

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Nov-15 23:16:56
Print Post

I would switch the modem/router off until daylight.

If these disconnections continue overnight DLM will really hammer you.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 17-Nov-15 23:17:43)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 23:45:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I would switch the modem/router off until daylight.

If these disconnections continue overnight DLM will really hammer you.
We are always hammered by DLM due to the intermittent fault on our line, when goes too high I phone BT and get it reset and after a few days its back to norm, well until it rains or gets windy.

At the moment the last lost connection I think was due to the strange SNR it gave us where it should be set to 5.9dB (up) and 6.0dB (down)

It seems stable at the moment:

BT Diagnostics Test
BT Wholesale Speadtest

So only time will tell.

Seems to be some issues due to the wind, we haven't lost connection again yet, but while doing some speed tests on there you can see when the wind was blowing LOL

Was very and I mean very windy at the start of the test:
TBB:Speadtest:144780315577475144809

This test I thought I was going to get away with it but sadly the wind started to blow again while doing the upload test:
TBB:Speadtest:144780320218424763874

Oh and a 3rd Party Speedtest just in case.

Soo... tonight we have lost connection 5 times, 3 of those we defiantly lost our phone line.

See this is why I want everything moved over to fibre when it gets done, and that also including the phone.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 17-Nov-15 23:48:57)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Nov-15 08:55:15
Print Post

No!

ADSL Max is different (20CN) exchange equipment to WBC 21CN (ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+ depending on the line) and requires an engineer to physically move the line from one set of equipment to another.

All exchanges where 21CN is present are having the 20CN equipment removed and everyone is being moved to 21CN.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Nov-15 11:18:58
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:

No!

ADSL Max is different (20CN) exchange equipment to WBC 21CN (ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+ depending on the line) and requires an engineer to physically move the line from one set of equipment to another.

All exchanges where 21CN is present are having the 20CN equipment removed and everyone is being moved to 21CN.
Yeah, we are now back to near normal speeds, it seems that the winds last night must of loosened some wires due to our phone line was also down.

Also our exchange still supports the following featured products:
WBC ADSL 2+
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M
ADSL Max
WBC Fixed Rate
Fixed Rate
Copper Multicast

When we signed up to BT few years back we got dumped with Max due to no free ADSL2+ line cards, but after a few calls moaning about it they found one and changed to that one.

Thing is I have had our ADSL2+ line connection fall back on to ADSL Max (i.e. G.992.1 G.dmt ) it seems to do it when we get loads of wind and rain where it changes the modulation if I recall, hard to know now we are using a HH4.

But yeah, I was aware of the 20CN being replaced.

Paul
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Nov-15 11:47:12
Print Post

It may have fallen back to ADSL1 (i.e. G.992.1 G.dmt ) but it can't fall back to ADSL Max which is a 20CN only product.

You can get ADSL1 on both 20CN and 21CN. On 21CN, when it falls back to ADSL1 you can still have faster upload sync speeds .

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Nov-15 11:58:29
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
It may have fallen back to ADSL1 (i.e. G.992.1 G.dmt ) but it can't fall back to ADSL Max which is a 20CN only product.

You can get ADSL1 on both 20CN and 21CN. On 21CN, when it falls back to ADSL1 you can still have faster upload sync speeds .
Sorry, that's what I meant, I was referring to the modulation used when syncing up, I did notice this a few times in the past when we was on a non BT modem/router, now using a HH4 (Type A) so its hard to know what's going on due to the HH4 shows jack squat (i.e. nothing), I do have a Fritz!Box 3390, but seem to of lost the power brick to it.

I did recall being put on Max for a few weeks when we first joined BT, but that was due to they had no ADSL2+ line cards available (i.e capacity issue at our exchange etc) at the time and was then moved after a few moans to them, i.e miss selling etc to ADSL2+.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to