General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Nov-15 09:38:45
Print Post

SamKnows whitebox testing - video tests

[link to this post]

To anyone who has (or is considering) a SamKnows testing unit:

This week the video testing which was in beta test and activated from a option at the top of the dashboard has gone fully live. The opt in has been removed and the tests are automatically enabled for anyone they believe is on an ISP offering unlimited usage. As a result the about of this a the amount of usage consumed by the tests has shot up.

They have confirmed to me that their tests via the box I have is consuming at least 2.1GB per day. From the experience of a number of people there is reason to suspect it could be much higher. One user has reported usage of 7GB per day when he's been away!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Nov-15 10:22:49
Print Post

Re: SamKnows whitebox testing - video tests

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I believe they still recommend you only connect it on connections that are unlimited bandwidth and not on metered connections. As long as the intelligence works and only runs when the network is idle then it shouldn't cause people an issue (although that does mean you have to have it connected up properly - ie everything routed through it which isn't good if you want gigabit Ethernet from your router).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Nov-15 10:56:43
Print Post

Time for ISPs, in particular wholesalers, to start blocking or charging Samknows it then. It's a serious addition to backhaul requirements and could easily add to congestion on ISPs. But that doesn't work well with the idea of net neutrality.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Nov-15 11:17:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

https://www.samknows.com/ - 440,000 volunteers

Even if only half of them are on video testing that's at least 13PB of data they are shifting round the internet each month!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Nov-15 11:46:24
Print Post

I have one. But given that most months I am well below average for my bandwidth usage then I don't see it as a big deal.
Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 20-Nov-15 11:55:53
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The black box has gigabit Ethernet ports on it. Simply email support, you send the white box back and they send you a black (D-LINK Archer) as a replacement...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.12/18.69Mbps - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Nov-15 13:02:21
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Not at home at the mo but think I already have the black one (it was replaced about 6 months ago because the old one failed). Didn't remember it had gigabit ports but that is good news for those who need it.
Standard User hunnymonster
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Nov-15 14:16:54
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Some of us have the original blackbox (a Linksys WAG160N if I remember rightly) and that definitely has 100Mbit ports...
Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 20-Nov-15 14:29:48
Print Post

[re: hunnymonster] [link to this post]

The newer black boxes are the TP-LINK WDR3600 as I have one sat in my cupboard.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.12/18.69Mbps - BQM
Standard User gerarda
(learned) Fri 20-Nov-15 15:02:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
https://www.samknows.com/ - 440,000 volunteers

Even if only half of them are on video testing that's at least 13PB of data they are shifting round the internet each month!

I doubt if anything like that number are actually using the boxes. In the UK Ofcom have been struggling to get statistically valid results from the samknows data http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/b...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to