General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User B31
(regular) Sun 29-Nov-15 16:04:19
Print Post

Noisy line and no broadband

[link to this post]

My normally very slow broadband is completely down (fourth time in four years I think)

Broadband light (home hub 3) was flashing orange/purple.

Tried it in the test socket with an adsl filter, same issue (socket is an adsl faceplate).

Picked up the cordless phone, very noisy/crackly etc. Later on, listened again, no dial tone at all.

Plugged a corded phone into the test socket, with nothing else connected, similar noise sometimes. Then other times no dial tone - or the dial tone arrives after a few seconds, or goes silent after a few seconds.

I can sometimes ring the line and sometimes can dial out.

Presuming it is a fault with the line, somewhere between the cabinet and my house. Maybe rain related or a loop, or loose connection somewhere?

The BT line test says "customers property". Edit: Oooh, it has changed now to "Close to Customer's Property"

The email from BT asked me to book an appointment but it wouldn't let me book one online (using 4G hotspot!). I phone BT and they said an appointment isn't needed. They'll check outside the property by the 4th Dec, then call me to arrange an appointment after that if the issue is still present. Hmmm.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)

Edited by B31 (Sun 29-Nov-15 16:10:28)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-15 22:20:58
Print Post

Re: Noisy line and no broadband

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Are you fed overhead ? It's been a windy few days.

Standard User B31
(regular) Mon 30-Nov-15 00:17:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

No, it is all underground.

I'm wondering if the rain has made the line worse than normal.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Nov-15 03:55:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by B31:
No, it is all underground.

I'm wondering if the rain has made the line worse than normal.
I know the wind and rain causes issues with our line with is above ground from our house to the pole, then its all under ground from there.

We also get an intermittent static whine noise on our phone line and the odd crackle, also that last bit of wind and rain we got killed our line for a few mins, sadly it came back up just as I was about to report it to BT on my mobile.

Paul
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Nov-15 07:06:32
Print Post

If it's a wet joint somewhere, then it'll stay wet even when there's no rain.

Standard User B31
(regular) Mon 30-Nov-15 08:53:09
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Home hub broadband light briefly went solid blue this morning.

Phone line still noisy.

Next time I looked it was back to its usual state of flashing orange purple.

Picked up the phone again, noisy, and the dial tone sounded for a second before cutting out. Just noise now.

(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Nov-15 09:22:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by B31:
Home hub broadband light briefly went solid blue this morning.

Phone line still noisy.

Next time I looked it was back to its usual state of flashing orange purple.

Picked up the phone again, noisy, and the dial tone sounded for a second before cutting out. Just noise now.
I reckon its water logged, or loose wires.

Paul
Standard User B31
(regular) Mon 30-Nov-15 21:36:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Well, the broadband started working again just before lunch, and looks like it has been up most if not all of the day.

The line is still very noisy though.

line test recording (recorded on a phone plugged into the master socket, it also sounds similar on the cordless phone).

(Virgin Media nearby)

Edited by B31 (Mon 30-Nov-15 21:40:56)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Nov-15 21:44:22
Print Post

Sounds like an HR to me ....

Standard User B31
(regular) Mon 30-Nov-15 21:57:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Cheers. I'll have a read up on that.

Just done a speed test, 0.5 Mbps and it gave up before it could test the upload.

Retried, got 0.55 Mbps down and 0.11 Mbps upload (although it was mostly on 0.00 Mbps during the test).

And that speed test was enough to make my broadband light start flashing orange and purple again!

(Virgin Media nearby)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to