General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-15 20:07:50
Print Post

Understanding BQM

[link to this post]

I see BQM mentioned often here. I have looked at mine but not sure what to interpret from it. Can someone enlighten me please.

My Broadband Ping

Regards

David
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 30-Nov-15 20:53:49
Print Post

Re: Understanding BQM

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

Have a read of: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/bqm.html

A High but stable latency, quite a bit of local traffic from around 9:00 AM through to 1:00 AM when you probably go to bed. Very very few lost packets - just a couple of occurrences and probably no network congestion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Nov-15 20:54:45
Print Post

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

The minimum latency is unusually high at something like 32ms, with the steady-state addition above that (the blue) also quite thick. Possibly you have a high level of interleaving.

Roughly where are you in the country?

The spikes in the blue are a direct result of the spikes in the yellow, bearing in mind each vertical in the graph is 100 seconds (pings) wide. Which is why some yellows don't increase the blue significantly and others have a big effect.

Some graphs show regular spikes, see mine linked in my sig. This can be router-dependent. For example some Billion models. Some are ISP or routing based, which mine is, as sometimes after a re-sync they aren't present.

Thinkbroadband has at least two pages with further information. The one you see when you go to your tbb account monitors page, and the FAQ page, (which I didn't know was there so haven't read).

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gdavid
(committed) Tue 01-Dec-15 18:29:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Have a read of: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/bqm.html

A High but stable latency, quite a bit of local traffic from around 9:00 AM through to 1:00 AM when you probably go to bed. Very very few lost packets - just a couple of occurrences and probably no network congestion.

Thanks - that's good to know

Regards

David
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 01-Dec-15 18:38:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As RobertoS asked - where are you located? Northern Scotland, or one of the Shetlands or Hebrides maybe?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Tue 01-Dec-15 18:42:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The minimum latency is unusually high at something like 32ms, with the steady-state addition above that (the blue) also quite thick. Possibly you have a high level of interleaving.

Roughly where are you in the country?

The spikes in the blue are a direct result of the spikes in the yellow, bearing in mind each vertical in the graph is 100 seconds (pings) wide. Which is why some yellows don't increase the blue significantly and others have a big effect.

Some graphs show regular spikes, see mine linked in my sig. This can be router-dependent. For example some Billion models. Some are ISP or routing based, which mine is, as sometimes after a re-sync they aren't present.

Thinkbroadband has at least two pages with further information. The one you see when you go to your tbb account monitors page, and the FAQ page, (which I didn't know was there so haven't read).

Thanks.

The router is a Billion 7800DXL.
Interleave is 16
Closest village to me is Iping, Midhurst WSx

Regards

David
  Print Thread

Jump to