General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Fri 04-Dec-15 20:03:07
Print Post

wiring

[link to this post]

Hi, ok phone line input in our house was input by bt araound 30 years ago, our living rooms are standard size two rooms knocked into one (like this when we moved here) there is a bay window and on that window sill the bt phone line connection box sits ( as square box ), wire leads down from this to above the skirting board and then goes along the skirting (around half way around the room to the box where the broadband plugs in.

Where the wire goes from the box to the skirting around 1 foot along the wire has worn over time and they are bare, do BT or openreach or my BB phone supplier Talktalk repair worn wires free of charge ?

Sorry about the explanation but its the best way I can describe our problem.

BlueBoy was here heheh

Edited by blueboy (Fri 04-Dec-15 20:32:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Dec-15 20:35:52
Print Post

Re: wiring

[re: blueboy] [link to this post]

It is likely the BT connection box will be judged the point at which the wiring hands over to your responsibility, so chances of a free repair to this wiring is low

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Fri 04-Dec-15 21:06:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank You Andrew for the advise.

BlueBoy was here heheh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-15 23:23:03
Print Post

Does the first box have a socket where you can plug a BT phone cable into? If it does, it is quite possibly a master socket and BT quite likely would want to likely charge for any work downstream of that. If the first box does not have a socket then it is likely a junction box and the wiring up to the next socket which I assume is a master socket is BT's responsibility. However, if they think the wiring has been damaged they may want to recover the cost from you.

Michael Chare
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Dec-15 10:40:52
Print Post

What have you done to wear out the insulation? It does not wear out without something being done to it!

Pictures might be a little more useful. That will then show if it is BTs or your responsibility although I would suggest that even if it is before teh master BT would still charge for repairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Sat 05-Dec-15 16:33:37
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hi

The first box does not have a socket now, it did originally as that is where our phone was put first when we moved here, when we had broadband we wanted the socket where it is now half way around the room. When the broadband was installed by BT they blocked of that box and ran the lead along the skirting to where it is now. Thanks for the reply smile

BlueBoy was here heheh
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Sat 05-Dec-15 16:49:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi. where they attached the wire to the skirting board they used metal staples hammered into the skirting the split goes from the staple about 1" bare wire, its all taped up at the moment and I am a little bit worried about removing it for a picture frown. Thank you for the reply smile

BlueBoy was here heheh
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Dec-15 17:01:49
Print Post

The staples are unlikely to have caused the split and bare wires ... thousands of those are used daily.

M H C

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Dec-15 17:45:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'm sure the OP didn't strip or damage the wires themselves on purpose!

After decades of redecorating and/or a hectic house with pets or whatever things do get damaged along the way tongue

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Dec-15 17:54:22
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Have I suggested they did it on purpose? NO.

Even if accidental, it could still be a chargeable repair. Something there must have caused it.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to