General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JohnGeddes
(newbie) Wed 09-Dec-15 14:27:52
Print Post

Will ADSL improve when big users move to VDSL?

[link to this post]

Our rural exchange (EMWINST) now has FTTC covering much of the village.

As more demanding users move across to VDSL, will remaining ADSL users see any improvement through reduced contention?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Dec-15 14:31:21
Print Post

Re: Will ADSL improve when big users move to VDSL?

[re: JohnGeddes] [link to this post]

In terms of peak time capacity there may be less people fighting for the limited capacity that the IPStream Max backhaul offers but as people are using more month on month generally, it may be the shift of people on cabs 1 and 4 to FTTC may be eroded by the remaining ADSL users using more with video streaming.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Dec-15 14:42:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There's also a possibility of WBC arriving at the exchange. I saw this happen to a rural exchange a few weeks after FTTC arrived; I didn't think WBC would ever be activated there.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Dec-15 15:17:25
Print Post

I did. FTTC got enabled and i suffer less disconnects and slightly higher sync
Standard User kebabselector
(regular) Wed 09-Dec-15 16:22:01
Print Post

Not sure if Openreach are improving things, but since Fibre has started in my area my ADSL download speed has increased a little bit (was around 4.8, now 5.8).

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Under Review'
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 09-Dec-15 20:37:25
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

If you are close to the exchange, but not too close, this may be the effect of customers on cabinets futher out moving to FTTC and thereby reducing crosstalk on your pair as they are no longer using data in that cable. This only happens when a cabinet further out is enabled ( or provided) that was using the same cable as you.

I beleive that this would only happen when a new cabinet is provided as normally the Cables to a cabinet are different to those serving EO customers. However the EO cable would be intercepted to put the new cabinet in place for a cluster of houses some way from the exchange ( usually 100+) removing their data path from the cable serving you.

Edited by kitcat (Wed 09-Dec-15 20:37:53)

Print Thread

Jump to