General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Stranger83
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 15:30:32
Print Post

Openreach being a bottleneck for internet to a new build

[link to this post]

So, considering the useful information I got from this site last time I figured I would come back again for my next problem.

I’m moving into a new build property and will be connected via an FTTP connection to the internet, without a home phone. The problem is – despite the developer and supplier contacting Openreach on multiple occasions each and every time I contact Openreach (via their new developments contact form) they claim that there is no order in place – and that I should tell the supplier to place the order via ‘Bronze matching’. My supplier says that they cannot use ‘Bronze matching’ because this is for phone lines only.

My problem is I move into the property on Friday 18th, and as someone who works from home I’m not really able to wait months for the issue to be resolved, I placed the order for the internet in October so there has been plenty of time for this to be resolved, but Openreach just seem like a nightmare to deal with, all three parties trying to deal with them (myself, the supplier and the developer) are all pulling our hair out over this with Openreach telling us we need another department – but that we are not allowed to speak to that department!!

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to speed the process up? My understanding is that Openreach are legally required to provide some kind of service to all UK properties, so would a court case for lost earnings be likely to get them to pull their finger out their bottom? Also, does anyone have any kind of better contact details for them than that stupid online form that doesn’t even allow you to add comments? I’ve tried responding to the email address that I get my ‘Bronze matching’ email form, but they never reply.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Dec-15 15:49:28
Print Post

Re: Openreach being a bottleneck for internet to a new build

[re: Stranger83] [link to this post]

The only thing OpenReach have to provide is a phone line capable of modem speeds (28.8Kbps I think). If that was what you wanted then it sounds like the process already exists but as what you want is FTTP they aren't legally required to provide that and so that is likely why you are hitting the issue. Has anyone else on the estate already got FTTP? My brother moved into a relatively new estate but it was over a year before FTTP became available - all they could get at the start was a phone line with ADSL.

As far as who to contact - it really is between the developer and BT and the developer need to push BT to resolve.
Standard User Stranger83
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 15:56:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, every other occupied property on the estate has FTTP - the houses were built with the cabling already up to the house - indeed I was told that the 'standard' connection wasn't available here as everything was just via Fibre.

Whilst I get that they don't HAVE to provide Fibre, if that is the only thing the house is setup for I assume that that is what they have to provide? Right now I'd be happy for them to go put all the cable down for a 'traditional' line as long as I'm connected in time - but that seems unlikely to be done by next week!

I never really cared if the connection was FTTP or standard, I just got what I was given so to speak.

Edited by Stranger83 (Fri 11-Dec-15 15:57:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Dec-15 16:03:45
Print Post

OK, that is strange as they have already got a process and presumably the developer has followed that process numerous times. Not sure what to suggest but the developer really needs to be pushing this.
Standard User Stranger83
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 16:25:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That’s what I thought too, in fairness this is ‘stage 2’ of the building – so the people who currently have the connection have been there a few months already, but I cannot see how the process would have changed much over 3-4 months.

The problem is the developer is chasing Openreach, they stated with a call a week, then two a week and now chase them every day to give them my completion date (at least they tell me they are and I currently have no reason not to believe them) The provider is doing the same (and I know they are there as I’ve been copied in on some of their connections) but Openreach just don’t seem to be tallying any of that up to an actual order in their system.

For a communication provider they seem to have an odd lack of ways to communicate with them!! Surely there must be some way to speak to them and get this sorted, at the moment each internal department of Openreach seems to be blaming the other.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:14:52
Print Post

And what is the retail provider you ordered from doing?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:31:14
Print Post

As you've said, they are not obliged to provide FTTP. There are people on here that have taken a year to get an FTTP install completed.

You could order a standard line, but if there is only fibre at your address, it's likely you'd face thousands in excess construction charges to get a copper line to you, as they only have to cover the first £1,000.

There is no guarantee such a line would be any good for broadband - you'd probably only get ADSL and may be miles from the exchange.

Perhaps if it's urgent, you should look in to 4G to tide you over? EE are doing two months of 100GB a month for £10.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/campaigns/christmas-sim-from-ee

Edit: You've mentioned "without a home phone" several times. I thought BT insisted on providing a FVA line even in these FTTP only areas? Perhaps that is what is preventing BT progressing - you haven't ordered a phone line. Even if this is technically possible, all their usual orders will have a phone number attached and if yours is "weird" it might cause delays.

I do wonder if your address shows availability of Infinity Option 4 (330/30, £50pm) on the BT Retail site, and if ordering that along with the requisite telephone line, would be quicker.

Edited by nemeth782 (Fri 11-Dec-15 17:34:06)

Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:59:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Stranger83:
That’s what I thought too, in fairness this is ‘stage 2’ of the building – so the people who currently have the connection have been there a few months already, but I cannot see how the process would have changed much over 3-4 months.

Is the postcode of your property different from that of the older properties? It could be that their systems don't recognise the new postcode/address yet - hence them asking your supplier to input the order in a particular way.

If it is a fibre only area - perhaps asking for a telephone line to be put in first (which I presume BT would then do over fibre) would make it easier to order internet access afterwards
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Fri 11-Dec-15 18:03:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Stranger83:
Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to speed the process up? My understanding is that Openreach are legally required to provide some kind of service to all UK properties, so would a court case for lost earnings be likely to get them to pull their finger out their bottom?

You should never need to contact Openreach.

Half in jest but you could try another supplier - and see if they are better at dealing with Openreach (you don't say who your current supplier is)

A court case would fail against Openreach - you have no contract with them and are not their customer (your ISP is).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 11-Dec-15 18:14:20
Print Post

Do you understand the Gold, Silver & Bronze Address matching? If not, do a Google search for "Gold Silver Bronze Address Match BT" - there will be an explanation.

One document is the Dialogue Service Product Guide at LINK When you down load it search for FTTP

That maybe useful to show to the developer and VF

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to