General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gideon
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 16:05:53
Print Post

Dealing with Openreac h, and Zero Information

[link to this post]

So, I recenrly moved out of a virgin area and into a house that was served by a phone line (and had FTTC available. I order phone and BB from Vodafone, as they're my mobile provider.

So, three or four days before my installation day (the 10th Dec) (not that I spotted this as I've been at work/moving house so leaving and arriving in the dark) a plummetting tree on some scrub land behind the houses took out the dropcable to the house. Cue engineer arriving, looking at it and going "need to run a new cable, probably stick another pole in"

Now, understandably, this will take a little time. However, I seem to be utterly at the mercy of OR. After asking VF to find out whats going on and when they might actually be doing something about it, VF keep fobbing me off with "we can only email our tech team, who can only email OR, we can't phone the tech team, and the tech team can't phone OR." Which is irritating as I need it to be able to dial into work.

So, anybody got any clue what OR's timescales are like these days?

Insult to injury, VF apparently passed an old contact number to them for me as part of the order (ie. one I dont ave any access to) and claim to be completely unable to tell OR to change this on the order. So it's likely, if an engineer needs to talk to me, they'll use a number I haven't had for six years.

*RANT MODE OFF.*

--
Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:13:31
Print Post

Re: Dealing with Openreac h, and Zero Information

[re: gideon] [link to this post]

The thing is, it's not down to you to contact Openreach and have to sort all this out, it's down to (in your case) Vodaphone. Ring them, hassle them, they hassle Openreach, etc, etc.

Standard User gideon
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:19:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thats the issue. they say they can't hassle openreach. I;d love it if they did.

But they won't. they're falling back on the "we're waiting for them to tell us things" rather than actually chasing answers.

--

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:24:27
Print Post

Thats the issue. they say they can't hassle openreach. I;d love it if they did.

But they won't. they're falling back on the "we're waiting for them to tell us things" rather than actually chasing answers.

So in all fairness it's Vodaphone who are the issue here.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:25:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Other providers appear able to do it, but that is usually because they are small and know individuals in Openreach and have less of their own internal layers to deal with.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:27:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd say that pretty much all of them can do it, it's just the CBA attitude from Vodaphone ....

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Dec-15 07:44:04
Print Post

They are telling you porkeys, or they just cant be bothered, they can call them and they can also echat them we have access to the openreach SMC to speak to someone so can't see why they dont.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User gideon
(newbie) Mon 14-Dec-15 12:57:02
Print Post

Re: Dealing with Openreach, and Zero Information

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Still nothing useful, but at least the high level complaint has actually stopped them going "no, we can;t help, we can't help, we can't phone" nd started them at least chasing it.

--
Standard User gideon
(newbie) Mon 14-Dec-15 15:30:11
Print Post

Ah, delicious progress.

The surveyor has been out and worked out and explained how they're going to do the cable run, from where to where, etc. Still not sure exactly when, but they did ask when there's be sdomeone in so they could shuffle the cars to get the cherry picker in, so soon.

those in the know, on an FTTC install, when they need to do soemthing like this, do they usually get this sorted, then another full wait for the engineer to come out and actually do the fttc bit, or would they try and arrange it all for the same day/couple of days?

--
Standard User csimon
(experienced) Mon 14-Dec-15 16:47:03
Print Post

I'm with small ISP that is well known for understanding tech issues and being able and willing to chase BT/OR up, but even that can't motivate OR into action. I've been waiting 5 months for a FTTP installation and I've had regular updates from AAISP, but it took 2 months for OR to do a survey and work out what they needed to do, then there was another month's delay for some reason. Then a new pole was erected 2 weeks ago, but the next job is to replace a pole about 100m away from the new pole. That was delayed for a week and a further update is due this week. I assume that at some stage they'll do external cabling on one day then a week or two later do internal cabling. So to answer your question, from my experience OR break a job down into very small bits done by different engineers/teams and order them separately after each one is done, as I guess might cause problems if one job doens't go according to plan, so the next one just goes to the end of the list, they don't get several things done at the same time.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to