General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Geggsy125
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 07:38:16
Print Post

Broadband Speed Problem

[link to this post]

My problem is my speed is 2 Kb/s and I feel it should be better.

I live in a terraced house in the UK and have adjoined neighbours either side, Nos 82, 84 & 86 (I live at 84). Both neighbours enjoy speeds of 7 Kb/s. Outside our houses is one BT pole with a wire coming off for each house.

Recently I had my old upvc front door and frame replaced. When the old had been ripped out and there was a bare opening I noticed an electrical junction box buried behind where the frame was. On closer inspection I saw that the telephone cable coming from the pole was entering that and on the other side a wire emerged which went into the wall and was (I assume) connected to my telephone socket. The old door and frame had been fitted on a grant from the council before I bought the property.

Also during the past 8 years I have experienced 7 Kb/s speeds on 3 occasions. the longest period of which lasted for a week. The other 2 were for a couple of days.

Can anyone help me sort the problem. I am with Plusnet who tell me that I should change to fibre but I feel if there is a problem then changing to fibre will not sort it.

I have an iMac connected via a wireless NETGEAR DGND3700v2

I would be grateful for any help
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Sat 12-Dec-15 09:43:36
Print Post

Re: Broadband Speed Problem

[re: Geggsy125] [link to this post]

I trust that you mean 2 or 7 Mb/s (or 2 or 7 MB/s) for the speed.
My experience of going to FTTC (which is what I assume PlusNet must have meant for you) was that the guy who came to install talked to us about what he thought would be the best way to do the job, and he brought the wire into the house by a different route (which we thought would be good in consideration of our router desired placement), and would, anyway (he told us) have renewed the wiring at the house to eliminate any problems.

Derek
Standard User Geggsy125
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 16:36:54
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

Thank you Derek.

That would be great if the wiring could be renewed at the same time.

I feel in my heart that when the old doors were fitted the fitters encountered a problem with the BT cable and botched up a connection using a 240v mains fitting to join the BT cable. I am convinced that is what stops me having speed where i can viably use iPlayer etc...

I was scared that paying extra for the fibre would keep me with the same problem as the signal would be very fast but then it would hit that bottle neck in my house.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond

Best wishes

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 69bertie
(learned) Sat 12-Dec-15 19:30:35
Print Post

Fibre and ADSL are two different animals. Yes, it might well come down the same set of wires from the cabinet but you'll be given a speed estimate, as part of the sign up, as to what sort of speeds they would expect you to get. If you were to drop below 80% of that then they would investigate further as to why. Whether it would pay you to go fibre, only you can decide.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Dec-15 21:04:05
Print Post

Post your router stats and we'll be able to see what speeds you should be getting.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 13-Dec-15 00:09:21
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

This could get nasty if the fault is in the box and that is still behind the (new) doorframe. The only clean way would be for Openreach to bypass that.

Possibly entering somewhere else entirely if the OP wishes. Which happened to me a few years back. It was quicker and easier for the engineer to fix my fault, and gave me an ideal place for a new master rather than the worst possible.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Geggsy125
(newbie) Sun 13-Dec-15 08:41:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS. This is exactly what I was afraid of. The need for a new line from the pole to the outlet in the house. The door fitters were super fast so there was no time for me to check the connections in the junction box. I feel that the previous fitters had wanted to move the cable so fitted a quick connection which was a total cowboy job. As an added bit of info the new fitters showed me how the old ones had fitted part of the door the wrong way around. They had also done that to an upstairs window which is why it wouldn't open and close easily... so botching a line connection was well within their capability.

Thanks again
Standard User Geggsy125
(newbie) Sun 13-Dec-15 08:44:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks XRaySpeX. I have been searching my router admin page and i have no idea what to look for to get you the info. Is this it?

Link Rate 7616 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 17.0 dB 12.0 dB
Noise Margin 13.2 dB 24.0 dB
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-15 12:24:30
Print Post

You are getting the full 7+ Meg. How are you measuring it when it is only 2 Meg? By Speedtest? It could be your exchange is congested, but I don't think the door-frame cable is affecting it.

The next time it is slow post these router stats again & try a wired speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Dec-15 15:07:49
Print Post

Given the stats you posted the line looks fine, congestion or local wireless issues are more likely.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to