General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Dec-15 00:18:04
Print Post

Moving Home

[link to this post]

How much do ISP's commonly charge for moving home...

I have an FTTC connection and moving to a new build apartment which has a line plumbed in but does require a visit from Openreach to be connected to network and cab... so new line...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 08:03:57
Print Post

Re: Moving Home

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Some will do it for free if you are willing to extend contract. I have seen others charging £75 upwards. Shouldn't be any more than a new connection which could be up to I think about £150. Are you still in contract as that could make a difference?
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Dec-15 08:09:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I'm in contract and willing to recontract!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 08:19:56
Print Post

Have you asked your ISP what they would charge? I know ISPs like PlusNet have generally done free moves, BT as well. I suspect this is the case with most of the bigger ISPs, smaller ISPs may charge (I would guess that Pulse8 would charge as they only do 1 month contracts).
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Dec-15 00:18:54
Print Post

Yes... my ISP wants £224 to move my service as well as a new 12 month commitment!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 08:11:18
Print Post

That sounds incredibly expensive as it also requires a new contract.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Dec-15 10:23:06
Print Post

Yes indeed expensive and approached in a very poor manner by the CP too...

The fact is the CP seemed very good up until this happened, they have now lost themselves a customer and currently a laughing stock amongst a small group of people and other CP's.

After 18-24 months of trying to find a provider that can provide and good & stable service along with good support and paying extra in the latest case, I've now given up and even abandoned the idea of static IP.

I'm now waiting for BT Residential to install (activate) the line at my new place and still considering returning the new advanced router and replacing it with HH5...

I can officially say I give up, and my last stand off will be to get the charges my former CP wanted reduced to a reasonable rate after misrepresenting the service and its costs from the start of the sales process.

The next bit of fun now is going to be waiting for Openreach to check if my new place is connected to the network and can get service, the "target" date for my order to complete is 11th Jan... I get a sneaky feeling it will creep into February at the moment though...

Better get my self another 2/3 EE XMAS Sim's laugh

Edited by mlmclaren (Mon 21-Dec-15 11:29:34)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Dec-15 16:11:42
Print Post

Well found the DP.... and a huge mess of cables leading to all the various apartments.... however, it all seems like it will be easy enough for Openreach to connect up
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Dec-15 16:10:49
Print Post

Re: New Builds >:#

Well, places order with BT a week ago... just got a message saying they don't know if the building is connected to BT network....

(it is, I found the DP saying "fed by pcp57")

they say it will take 5 days to find out if it is.... arg!, the exchange is 2 min walk away from door and PCP even closer to exchange than that... why the hell can't open reach send somebody out the front door to have a look!

So currently my order completion date was January 11th... now more like 18th due to extra time taken to look at a box and a weekend too... maybe longer with christmas....

Everyone in the block is well chuffed with the delays...

PS. I think its safe to say that Openreach is not in favour of BT if its going to take a month to get someone connected!
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Dec-15 12:37:01
Print Post

Re: BT & Openreach's Incompetence

It's currently looking like I'll be cancelling my order with BT... 2 weeks ago (16th Dec) I placed an order for Infinity 2 with TV...

I was told on the 17th that some extra checks need to be done and that I would be contacted within 3 days "if required"... I contacted them straight away to find out what the hold up was?

They said just doing a check then confirmed the order and the process moved on..

Later that day another email saying that they need to confirm if they can provide the service to me and this would take up to 5 working days... I contacted them again and they confirmed Openreach needs to check the building has lines coming to it...

So now taking into consideration weekends.. christmas, boxing day and the observed bank holiday they should of been out by yesterday (29th) and all should of been moving forward...

I contacted BT again and they said that I will "defiantly" be connected on or by the 11th Jan 2016....

Today (30th) missed a call from "unknown" who left voicemail saying they where from BT's offline team and that they will call on the 13th January to giver us an update on whether or not we can get a service.... ># they left no contact details either... (rather un-proffessional)

Just called BT to track the order, told that 11th is still the "preferred date" however it isn't confirmed and that the account is still in the hands of the offline team.... I asked to talk to the offline team... NO! so I'm told that a request for a callback has been pushed through.... have very little hope of this happening though.

My issues with this situation is the following... Since placing the order the only contact made with a person at BT has been myself contacting them... know body has tried too hard to contact me...

... my other issue is that I can see the exchange from my window, there is at least one Openreach van parked there at most times during the day... why can't someone just pop over and say hi or at least look in the cupboard downstairs.

... The Cupboard downstairs: Unlocked, clearly has a distribution point mounted on the wall stating it is fed by PCP57... and also has a DP number on it... it is also open, it shows one line connected and probably 50-100 more empty spots for lines to be punched in... also has a load of art pairs twisted together at the side...

and all the lines are in the cupboard too awaiting connection to the DP....

If Openreach where to talk to the ISP's and the End Users correctly they could ask for the number and probably pull it up on the system...

As it stands, I could connect this line up to the PCP... *sarcasm*

At this rate I could probably get a 3rd party provider to shove a fibre to the basement and connect to the CAT5E cables fed to all the flats! (hmmm... I wonder)

If BT doesn't make anything happen by the end of the week the chances are I will be cancelling the order as they don't seem to have fought the battle well enough IMO... I would be better off waiting until Openreach's fatties finish there butties & get off the [censored] confirm that flats can be connected and then place the order...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to