General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:31:21
Print Post

More phone issues - No dial tone

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Over my post history you'll see a lot of issue with noise on my phone line.

I've come home this evening and now I have no dial tone, and the router is connected at 34/5, instead of the usual 74/20.

I've reported the fault, which showed green at the diagnostics centre, but no further, and the view my faults page isn't loading.

Can anyone suggest what the issue might be?

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390

Edited by AndyPandy (Wed 16-Dec-15 17:31:37)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:34:52
Print Post

Re: More phone issues - No dial tone

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Only 1 wire connected.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:36:15
Print Post

One wire of the pair has become disconnected somewhere. (Guessing possibly between where you reach the phone cabinet and the exchange).

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:40:41
Print Post

HR Dis fault = "one-leg broken" . A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are need for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual. It is likely that the break occurs between you & the cabe, but it needs your ISP to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 16-Dec-15 17:44:03)

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Wed 16-Dec-15 18:16:16
Print Post

Usually happens when an OR engineer is working on a cabinet and inadvertently causes one wire to be disconnected when they are pulling/pushing a bunch of cables about.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Dec-15 19:09:27
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies everyone. A bit of googling has got me the 1 wire disconnected thing.

As it's affecting broadband, and I'm on fibre, I'm guessing it must be between me and the cab.

Hopefully, if this is fixed properly (lift & shift/new pair?) it will also resolve my repeated line noise issues, if this is the final culmination of the issue.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 19:14:41
Print Post

Hopefully, if this is fixed properly (lift & shift/new pair?) it will also resolve my repeated line noise issues, if this is the final culmination of the issue.

It's not going to be a lift and shift that fixes it, but hopefully you'll be sorted soon.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-15 01:22:19
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

"Engineer's bum syndrome" I call it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 17-Dec-15 08:39:10
Print Post

There is a small chance that the problem is at your master socket. Unplug the face plate and try the socket behind - possibility that one contact has corrosion or lost springiness and not making contact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Dec-15 18:12:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've tried the test socket, same result.

The master socket was replaced a few months ago to try and cure the initial noise problem, so it's brand new, and I watched the guy make good connections. Same goes for the filter on another occasion for the same issue.

The only thing that can really be left is the pole or the PCP. (or any other joints)

I have a resolve date of Monday coming, though nobody from BT has been in touch. Lovely.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to