General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 16-Dec-15 19:33:50
Print Post

Using VPN to access internet via home router

[link to this post]

I have OpenVPN running on a Nas on my home network. Using this I can remotely access data on the NAS, using my Windows laptop in a hotel room for example.

Is there a way that I could route further web requests from my laptop so that they go out to the wider internet via my home router?

No prizes for guessing the benefit!

Michael Chare
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 16-Dec-15 19:38:22
Print Post

Re: Using VPN to access internet via home router

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

configure the nas as a web proxy
Standard User B31
(member) Wed 16-Dec-15 20:10:08
Print Post

BBC Click created a vpn using a Rasberry Pi

Not what you are after, and probably a bit complex, but may be useful for others

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33548728

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-15 07:19:53
Print Post

Again not exactly what you are looking for; but another way.

I have TeamViewer on all four PCs, using particularly the VPN side of that software.

When away from home, I leave my main PC running, it is connected by Ethernet Cable to the Router.

My ASUS Netbook is my "travelling" PC.

I log in to whatever WiFi is available, usually hotel or airport, then use TV's VPN to access my main PC at home, going out on the Web from the latter.

That way, I basically get close to the main PC's processing and VDSL speeds etc.

Only drawback is the small screen of the ASUS; but recently I have used EZCast or HDMI cable to connect to the hotel's Television set.

Very Beneficial!

---------------

I did have an NAS set-up; on the earlier Bright Box 1, again accessed via my main PC - but have not bothered to re-establish on the BB2.

---------------

I have also found TeamViewer of use for quickly transferring files etc across PCs.

Also to give me a "large screen" version of my ASUS Netbook, when upgrading etc - much easier to read.

---------------

Using TeamViewer, maximising on what-ever local display is available, is generally similar to sitting at the remote PC, occasionally getting to the extent of being confusing!

"Which PC am I actually working on?"

--------------

I was given a Raspberry Pi, which I eventually intend to connect in, so that I don't have to leave the main PC running.

The main Tower PC, the Netbook and my lady-wife's laptop are all Windows 10, whilst an older Tower PC was resurrected using Ubuntu; the three W 10 PCs having TeamViewer Beta 9 installed.

The Ubuntu version of TeamViewer is slightly different; and older as far as I can judge; but works fine for my purposes.
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-15 16:40:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like there is a web proxy server facility for my Synology NAS. I shall try it out.

Michael Chare
Standard User jroadley
(regular) Fri 18-Dec-15 00:07:37
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Thanks, I needed a way to get round some filtering at work, and the teamviewer/squid setup worked a charm.
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-15 16:25:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Surprisingly easy to get to work! I just logged onto my Synology NAS remotely, installed the proxy server package and made a note of the port it wanted to use. I thought that making it work might kill more of the six hours or so that I am going to have to wait at Geneva airport before my somewhat delayed Easyjet flight departs.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to