General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PeteRosy
(newbie) Sat 19-Dec-15 17:04:23
Print Post

2 pc's with completely different MBPS broadband readings....

[link to this post]

Can someone help me with this problem please? I bought a new Lenovo Z70 Laptop in October 15. I have experienced intermittent broadband results from low to dropped connections. Buffering YT videos drive me crazy. This is using my WIFI. I am only 8 metres from my router. I also have super fibre broadband. The Lenovo is Windows 10.

I have done speed tests after speed test. I get the highest reading of approx 8 mbps down to 2.5mbps 0.5. I have been speaking with TT support who suggested I change my wireless channel which I am currently doing but to no difference.

Now I also have an old Acer Aspire approx 5 years old. It's using Windows 7. I have never had any broadband issues using this laptop. The speedtest is consistently 36/38 mbps.

So what's going on with my Lenovo? If I place the laptop directly next to the router the readings shoot up to 36/38 mbps and when I return it to the next room 8/10 metres away it drops down considerably.

Any ideas please? Is there some setting I am missing?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 19-Dec-15 17:29:00
Print Post

Re: 2 pc's with completely different MBPS broadband readings

[re: PeteRosy] [link to this post]

Is your Acer also using wireless?

Have you got an Ethernet cable you could connect the Lenovo to the router with, to see if it is OK wired? That will tell us if it is anything to do with the Lenovo wireless set up, or something else.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sat 19-Dec-15 18:56:47
Print Post

Assuming that this has always been the problem and has not suddenly got worse, it could be a problem with the wireless adapter in the laptop. One possible cause could be that the antenna are not connected properly. There are two antenna cables that have very small push on connectors to the card. Sort of very mini versions of the plus terminal on a pp9 battery. If one or both are not pushed on correctly then it will have a very weak signal, which would be improved by moving the laptop next to the router, as you have indicated. There may be a small panel on the underside which if removed, you should be able to see the cables (black & grey usually I think, one is called "aux"and the other "main") and check if they are really secure. If I remember correctly the cables from the antenna (which are usually up the side of the screen) are hard wired, so can't become disconnected. However if it not easily accessible, as the laptop is new, you will need to contact the supplier/manufacturer. Course, it could be the wireless card itself, but that is quite unusual. Any software setting wouldn't be affected by distance from the router.

Edited by rogerfp (Sat 19-Dec-15 20:36:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-15 20:06:40
Print Post

In addition to the other replies, have you tried the ACER in the same position literally as where the Lenovo has problems.

-------------

Is the Lenovo using the same WiFi band as the ACER which is likely to be the 2.4GHz, rather than the newer 5 GHz.

The 5 GHz band has greater difficulty penetrating solid walls.

My 5 GHz band is usually 10 dbs worse than my 2.4 GHz, ie if my 2.4 is showing -56 db, the 5 GHz is around -66 db, ie a decidedly weaker signal.

----------------

I came across this, which has similarities to your problem-

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series...
Standard User PeteRosy
(newbie) Sat 19-Dec-15 20:42:38
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Yes the Acer is in the same position as the Lenovo. I switch one or the other off when I'm conducting a test so that there is no wireless conflict. Now I wouldn't know how to find out whether the Acer or the Len are using the same WIFI band. Would I find that information in the TalkTalk wireless settings?

Thanks

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
In addition to the other replies, have you tried the ACER in the same position literally as where the Lenovo has problems.

-------------

Is the Lenovo using the same WiFi band as the ACER which is likely to be the 2.4GHz, rather than the newer 5 GHz.

The 5 GHz band has greater difficulty penetrating solid walls.

My 5 GHz band is usually 10 dbs worse than my 2.4 GHz, ie if my 2.4 is showing -56 db, the 5 GHz is around -66 db, ie a decidedly weaker signal.

----------------

I came across this, which has similarities to your problem-

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series...
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sat 19-Dec-15 21:21:39
Print Post

How old is the TalkTalk router? Can you see a model number? I'm not familiar with their routers but somewhere in the wireless settings there might be be a reference to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands depending on the router. Older routers only had 2.4Ghz, later ones you could use either/or, and the latest you can broadcast both channels simultaneously. First you need to establish if both channels are available to connect to.
Standard User PeteRosy
(newbie) Sat 19-Dec-15 23:57:32
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
How old is the TalkTalk router? Can you see a model number? I'm not familiar with their routers but somewhere in the wireless settings there might be be a reference to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands depending on the router. Older routers only had 2.4Ghz, later ones you could use either/or, and the latest you can broadcast both channels simultaneously. First you need to establish if both channels are available to connect to.

The router is approx 2 years old. It's a HUAWE model nos HG533. I started changing the channels a few days ago starting at 11 and working my way up. I am on ch6 at present and no improvement as yet. I will find an ethernet cable and test it that way. But I know if I place the laptop directly in front of the router it
works far better ...38mbps approx.

Being a TalkTalk customer and with the recent hacking scandals I have been advised that I can have a free upgrade and a home visit from an engineer who could look over my wifi settings. It's their way of trying to keep their clients happy!!

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sun 20-Dec-15 00:49:34
Print Post

Apparently its is not dual band router, so 2.4Ghz only. So its not a case of one laptop being connected to a different slower signal.
Using a cable won't prove anything because as you say, when it is next to the router you get excellent speeds.
It's definitely a wireless signal strength problem with the Lenovo, because as both are connecting to the same SSID (2.4Ghz) one is fast and one isn't, at a distance. So its looking more like a hardware problem on the Lenovo along the lines of what I described previously.
If Talktalk are offering a free upgrade and engineer home visit its probably worth taking up their offer just to see if he can help, although its not something they would neccessarily be conversant with. If, after that there is no improvement, then I would contact the supplier or Lenovo direct about getting the wireless card checked out and making sure the antenna are connected, if you are unable to do this yourself due to it being inaccessible.
If you look at this link it will give you an idea waht you are looking at:-
http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2013/06/06/c304f...

Edited by rogerfp (Sun 20-Dec-15 00:55:23)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Dec-15 02:43:34
Print Post

A tonne of Lenovo and other branded laptops use really poor wireless cards. I'm sure if you google your laptop model eg "Lenovo u310 poor wifi" you will see a tonne of people with similar issues.

It's really not uncommon, it's actually the reason I returned a Lenovo u310. The problem with Lenovo is they whitelist the bios so you can only use that wireless card.

If you got the laptop from Amazon return it. If it's from currys you'll have a nightmare getting anything done as their test will be to load up Google and claim it's perfect. Ideally return the unit and do lots of research on the model you buy. It's very hard to find a flawless Windows laptop nowadays, it's why I'm on a MacBook right now, every Windows laptop had a tiny niggle such as this.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sun 20-Dec-15 10:09:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thats a very fair point. Years ago we had to patch IBM/Lenovo bios's with a 3rd party utility to remove the block on using or even booting with another make/type of wireless card. However even if possible, not something you can do whilst under warranty.
Even if it is Amazon, it might still be difficult to return after 2 months. They will probably insist he contacts Lenovo under warranty after all this time. but worth a try.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to