General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:02:14
Print Post

New Modem use

[link to this post]

Acquired a replacement Belkin N600 DB.
Is it 'better' to switch modem on and off instead of being on all the time.
My last modem a Belkin N300 lasted exactly three years being switched on and off.
Nobody that I have asked has been able to tell me the 'Normal' LIFESPAN' of a modem.
Appreciate advice.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:11:32
Print Post

Re: New Modem use

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

Don't have any specific info on modems but most people tend to leave them on. In most electronics the time that something is most likely to fail is when power is applied - normally there is a surge at switch on and this has the risk of blowing components.

The experience in data centres is that the managers don't like powering down. In a large data centre when you power back up is the time where you lose a fair bit of equipment - power suppliers, hard disks, etc. Those items would probably have carried on working for some time if the power hadn't been cycled on them.

It's the same with simple things like light bulbs. A bulb might keep working for months powered on but if it is close to blowing the extra bit of power at the point it is turned on is what will most likely cause it to blow.
Standard User hunnymonster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:18:43
Print Post

From a thermal stress point of view - much better to leave it on. Constant warming/cooling cycles could lead to failures in (for example) solder joints which would stop it working earlier than if it was left powered up all the time.

From a freak event point of view (like lightning strike nearby) - then the longer it's on, the more likely that it will be on and affected by the lightning strike. (Of course it's entirely possible that the electromagnetic shockwave from the lightning might wipe it out anyway)

As ian72 said - lightbulbs tend to go "pop" as you switch them on - as a result of thermal stress...

Leaving it on will consume more energy than switching it off - but if the price for that is early failure and replacement then it will cost you more (to replace it) and more in energy because the resources have to be dug out of the ground to make the new one.

Up to you though - personally all of my modems & routers are switched on and left on until they are replaced (because they are no longer up to the job).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:23:47
Print Post

Leave ON.

As others say - less thermal stress. The extra cost of it running - maybe £1 to 2 per year. The only time to think about power down and disconnecting is if (as mentioned) you are susceptible to lightning or if you are going away for a holiday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User helpoort
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 15:27:07
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That seems to be a DEFINITE answer.
Exactly what I was trying to find.
Many thanks for your answers.
appreciated
helpoort
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 22-Dec-15 12:38:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by helpoort:
Nobody that I have asked has been able to tell me the 'Normal' LIFESPAN' of a modem.

Depends on the specific product. IME, the ethernet ports on a Netgear DGN2000 fail before the warranty expires. I had several replacements sent.

I eventually got a DGN2200 foc from Plusnet which has kept going for very nearly 5 years, powered up all the time. It is used as a switch and wifi access point rather than as a router.

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Dec-15 12:50:32
Print Post

They are not designed to be turned off. You will likely get way over 3 years if you just leave it on 24/7 unless a lightning strike occurs.
  Print Thread

Jump to