General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boostar
(member) Wed 30-Dec-15 20:45:05
Print Post

Changing Name On BT Line

[link to this post]

I am looking to have the name changed on our BT line due to the death of the account holder.

My problem is with BT's tendency to cease broadband on the line when there is a name change. This would be...problematic (to say the least.)

As I understand it, BT won't actually change the name of the account holder under normal circumstances, instead closing the old account and opening a new one in the new name. Bereavement seems to be the exception to this, where a simple name change is possible.

Does a name change due to bereavement trigger the cease in the same way a "standard" name change does?

If it does, is there any way to change the account holders name and not have a cease applied to the broadband connection?

Edited by boostar (Wed 30-Dec-15 21:50:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Dec-15 09:37:16
Print Post

Re: Changing Name On BT Line

[re: boostar] [link to this post]

Bereavement is one of those cases where if everything else is staying the same that a cease should not occur, but it needs to be made clear to the BT side that this is why a name change is happening.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User boostar
(member) Thu 31-Dec-15 11:16:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I was hoping that would be the case.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Fri 01-Jan-16 23:22:26
Print Post

[re: boostar] [link to this post]

As Mr S. says...

My Mother passed away a while back and after explaining to a very sympathetic CS rep. they just went ahead and changed the name on the account, no problem.

----
Mike
  Print Thread

Jump to