General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User M1ke_a
(newbie) Thu 31-Dec-15 18:34:34
Print Post

Problems with getting line repaired + no master socket

[link to this post]

Further to my other post we've been having major issues with our line.

BB speed has halved in the past 2 weeks and as soon as the rain starts, the line becomes really crackly and the router is up and down like a yo yo. SNR of 16dB + if the line manages to connect at 8Mb and 11ish at 4Mb

We don't have a master socket in the house, just 3 extensions linking back to an old GPO junction box by the front door.

Had a OR eng come out before Xmas. He tested from the nearest phone in the house and he said it was was OK (weather was calm and sunny that day). He said get a new fibre package from anyone and they'd install a new cable from the pole and master socket as standard.

When I asked Zen about this the guy was very surprised and said they wouldn't and furthermore was v surprised the eng tested off a slave socket.

So we have a duff line that needs resolving.

OR eng said that could be resolved by getting a new fibre install
1 ISP said otherwise

Who's right?
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Thu 31-Dec-15 18:53:16
Print Post

Re: Problems with getting line repaired + no master socket

[re: M1ke_a] [link to this post]

When you have noise on your line, you should report it as a voice fault and keep doing it. If you're lucky,at some stage an engineer will replace your master socket/junction box with a new one and/or do something with the cable.

If ordering fibre and you get an engineer install (from any ISP) then yes, BT should fit a new master socket - I can't comment on a new cable though (that is less likely)

If its a self install than an engineer generally doesn't visit your property

Edited by gt94sss2 (Thu 31-Dec-15 18:56:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 31-Dec-15 19:12:52
Print Post

One of your extensions will be an old style master. See these pictures.

If you open them up you can tell which.

The most likely are the LJ 2/1A which is the master, see the small cylindrical capacitor at the top, and two of LJ 2/3A next to it without the capacitor.

If not those two, look through that gallery for what you have. The master is always the one with the capacitor.

As has been said, you would need an engineer install, not a self-install. On an engineer install the master will be replaced with a modern one with a filtered faceplate fitted. The modem or modem/router has to be connected to that socket.

If you find the master isn't the one you are already using and you want to continue using that one, (I advise you to check before doing anything else), you need either to arrange with the chosen ISP for a Data Extension Kit/Home Wiring Solution to be fitted, or to sweet-talk the engineer to install the new master where you want it and put the extension socket where the current master is. That's assuming you want one there.

If the nearest cab is the one you are fed from then you shouldn't lose any FTTC speed from this. To check that, put your address into the address option of this checker, (don't use the pure postcode one!), check the line above the table for the cabinet number. Then go and check the number on your phone cabinet. Not the FTTC cabinet.

The line from the pole will only be replaced if it is damaged, and even then it may be a separate later job.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 31-Dec-15 19:14:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User M1ke_a
(newbie) Thu 31-Dec-15 19:42:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks very much guys smile

I can't remember which one of the 3 sockets is the master but the original incoming cabling is terminated at another junction box and then the 3 sockets are starred off from there.

The outside wiring runs along the house at 1st floor height and it'd be perfect to run this in to the 1st floor landing for a new master. OR eng said the existing cabling is likely to be better quality than their new copper plated steel stuff.

To summarise

Existing phone line really isn't well
I'd like a new master socket at a better location
I don't really want to pay for a new / replacement line from the pole
I'm recording quiet line tests when the line goes bad

So can I get this fixed by chasing BT to repair the line as per gt94sss2 and then sweet talking the OR eng on the day? wink (As it was near Xmas I suspect the prev eng wanted an easy day on the original visit)

P.S the nearest cab matches that checker though I'd have thought they'd have managed something better than using a permanent marker to identify it!

P.P.S Don't you guys have anything better to do on NYE?! smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 31-Dec-15 19:53:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by M1ke_a:
Thanks very much P.P.S Don't you guys have anything better to do on NYE?! smile
"You are held in a queue. Your posts are important to us. You will be answered as soon as possible, please hold".

It's more fun than the TV tongue.

I'm about to microwave a Sainsbury's Chicken Tikka Biryani - not had one from them before.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User M1ke_a
(newbie) Thu 31-Dec-15 19:56:29
Print Post

Mrs A is about to pop a Sainsos pizza in the oven

Happy New Year!
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jan-16 03:44:52
Print Post

I don't think getting a master etc will resolve the issues you have where it all messes up during the rain. That issue is likely to be external.

Will getting fibre result in a new line being installed. No, reality is they may send out a new router via the post, if your old one doesn't already support fibre. You will plug that in somewhere and off you go. Manned installs are a general thing of the past on most ISPs.

I would raise an issue with the voice side being crackly multiple times to the provider of the landline, don't mention anything else. When an engineer comes, he may fix the setup although the main thing would be to fix the crackling line before touching the setup.

& ps I had a takeaway pizza, feeling posh wink
Standard User M1ke_a
(newbie) Fri 01-Jan-16 09:03:23
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks. I'll get back onto BT and nag them to fix the line. Repositioning the (new) master would be a very easy job and the nearest pole is less than 10m. Probably about 2 hours of work.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Jan-16 09:46:38
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

When an engineer works at a house without an NTE5 he is supposed to install one free.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 01-Jan-16 16:35:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm about to microwave a Sainsbury's Chicken Tikka Biryani - not had one from them before.

Probably made by NOON - one of the better quality pre-packed/chilled Indian meals. However, they are now owned by Kerry Foods of Ireland!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to