General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SockDaddy
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 07:34:04
Print Post

Line Speed help!

[link to this post]

Hello everyone first off let me introduce my self my name is Allon from Northampton and this is my first post, I am hoping someone can help me?

Right about 20months ago I left talk talk broadband for virgin when I left I was getting 16-16 half Meg consistently. I have now moved back to BT lines through sky broadband and have been with them since November from the off set I have only been getting 13mb sometimes less I checked the connection speed the router itself tells me my speed is 16 odd but actual speed is only 13 odd did test both wireless and hard wired so I then changed the master socket to a MK3 added almost half Meg so some result also changed the RJ11 for a cat6 cable still no better so I thought it was something to do with the [censored] (apologies for swearing) router sky give you so went back to my trusted Netgear DGND3700 I used previously on talktalk after finally working out how to get login details from the sky router that is a pain in the bottom to! Got it all working today and still only getting about 13mb but router still says connection is about 15 half I have checked most setting on router as well so I am now stuck!

So am I missing a setting somewhere or is it just sky's rubbish please help I have run out of ideas?

Thanks in advance
Allon
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Jan-16 10:55:16
Print Post

Re: Line Speed help!

[re: SockDaddy] [link to this post]

Maximum throughput on ADSL2+ is about 0.84 x connection speed. So a 16% loss. Nearly all that is TCP/IP overheads.

84% of 16Mbps is 13,440kbps. Your loss of speed looks to be due to a lower connection speed than when with TalkTalk.

Can you see your attenuation and noise margins in the router stats?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User SockDaddy
(newbie) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:09:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,
Just checked my routers settings and nothing telling me noise etc how else can I get the info?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:16:29
Print Post

Routers usually give Connection speed (sync), Attenuation and Noise Margin (SNR or SNRM) all in the same place. We could do with all three, both down and up.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:20:14
Print Post

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/423135/Netgear-Dgnd...
Standard User SockDaddy
(newbie) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:27:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Got it,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 15190 kbps 1213 kbps
Line Attenuation 28.0 db 16.9 db
Noise Margin 6.2 db 6.1 db
Standard User SockDaddy
(newbie) Tue 05-Jan-16 01:28:06