General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User marks7
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:18:43
Print Post

Old broadband provider still billing me

[link to this post]

Hello,

My old broadband provider was TalkTalk (I had broadband only from TalkTalk with the phone line with BT) and at the start of November last year I signed up for the broadband only package from Plusnet. Shortly after signing up I had the “sorry you’re leaving” letter from TalkTalk and the welcome letter from Plusnet and the switchover took place on 18th November. Since the original letter from TalkTalk I have received no further communication or final bill from them and have still been sent invoices for the period in between now and then even though I am also understandably being charged by Plusnet, my new provider.

I have been in contact with TalkTalk and they are saying that Plusnet are at fault as although they sent an instruction to initiate the cancellation (hence why I received the leaving letter) Plusnet did not let TalkTalk know that the service had been switched over.

Plusnet are saying that they did everything correctly, that the order was completed and they quoted a number that they said TalkTalk would be able to see if they searched on the BT system. Plusnet have said that TalkTalk were no providing a service beyond 18th November and should not be able to justify charging me for anything beyond that time. They also said they do not directly notify anybody when we take over a service, and that TalkTalk should be able to see that one of their lines is being/has been taken over. They said if the shoe was on the other foot, we would be well aware of that, and the account would be automatically closed without any direct contact from the new supplier.

TalkTalk are still adamant that it’s Plusnet that are at fault because Plusnet did not notify them of the change.

I feel like “piggy in the middle” at the moment and as I’m not exactly clear on the process myself I’m not sure who is telling the truth and who is at fault so would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me as to how the switching process should have worked (i.e. who’s responsibility it is to do which part), so that I can go back to whichever provider and confidently pursue getting my service cancelled and the amount that I’ve paid to TalkTalk between November and now refunded.

Thanks very much for your help. Apologies if this is posted to the wrong forum!

Mark
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:40:22
Print Post

Re: Old broadband provider still billing me

[re: marks7] [link to this post]

Sorry, but I would agree that you are at fault, not for the shambles, but for allowing it to happen. Why on earth did you not cancel any payment such as direct debit instructions. Incidentally, if your payments are by direct debit, you should have a right to a refund for all monies under the Direct Debit Gurarantee.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 09-Jan-16 00:43:36)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:40:43
Print Post

You could escalate this through the dispute resolution service at http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:41:15
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
Sorry, but I would agree that you are at fault.

Rubbish.

Oliver.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:42:50
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Sorry, but I would agree that you are at fault.

Rubbish.

You never heard of cancelling a Direct Debit?

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:45:21
Print Post

You never heard of cancelling a Direct Debit?

You said he is at fault which is incorrect. A company taking Direct Debits for money that is not owed is at fault, not the customer. In fact companies specifically ask for Direct Debits not to be cancelled so that any credits/debits on the final bill can be settled.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:48:59
Print Post

Have a read of this: http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-make-complaint

Everything is detailed there, including the steps needed to contact "Ombudsman Service: Communications" if a deadlock is reached with TalkTalk's complaints department.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 09-Jan-16 00:49:38)

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:49:31
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

READ MY POST. I have said HE IS NOT TO BLAME for the mixup, but IS to blame for allowing it to happen. No need to come whining on here. Just cancel the Direct Debit and chase the bank for entitled refund. No need for anyone else to poke their nose in.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:51:37
Print Post

READ MY POST. I have said HE IS NOT TO BLAME for the mixup, but IS to blame for allowing it to happen.

Unfortunateky for you, edits are time-stamped. Everyone can see you edited your post to change your stance, after I posted.

Oliver.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 00:52:13
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

RUBBISH, he should simply cancel his Direct debit, then approach his bank with proof of entitlement of a refund of all monies under the Direct Debit Guarantee, which is what I expect any waste of time round the houses approach to an Ombudsman would bring forth anyway, except far faster.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 09-Jan-16 01:00:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to