General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gocat2005
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 08:45:56
Print Post

BT new line wall sockets issue with ADSL

[link to this post]

Hello

I have a new BT line with new SSFP OpenReach master socket and two extension sockets. I chose ZEN Broadband ADSL not fibre. I am close to the exchange.

I want to move my router to an extension socket with a filter but it doesn't work at all - only on the master socket.

If I remove the ADSL part of the master socket I can then move the router to any extension socket - but I get a lower speed.

What's going one here? Is there a problem with the wiring in my house?

Edited by gocat2005 (Sun 10-Jan-16 08:50:33)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 10-Jan-16 08:56:45
Print Post

Re: BT new line wall sockets issue with ADSL

[re: gocat2005] [link to this post]

Sounds like it's working as it's supposed to.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 10-Jan-16 12:03:18
Print Post

You need to convert the extension to an unfiltered one. Does the new master socket/faceplate have connections for such an extension? I assume it came with some for of leaflet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 10-Jan-16 12:12:50
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

I should note that if the OR SSFP does not have separate IDC connections for unfiltered output (the Interstitial plate I have does, but that's not an SSFP) then you'll need to connect your extension to the RJ11 (VDSL) socket on the front of the faceplate. Ideally use CW1308 or cat5/6 ethernet cable. However, existing extension cable would work, but it might be more vulnerable to noise and/or some loss of speed depending on the specification of the cable.

The trickiest problem is making a connection to existing extension cable in place if there is no unfiltered output on the faceplate. However, there are numerous VDSL extension cable kits designed for the purpose.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jan-16 12:53:46
Print Post

There be an issue with the extension wiring, e.g. poor quality cable or split pairs.

The reason the SSFP exists is because extension wiring can result in lower speeds. One option is to replace the extension wiring with better quality cable, i.e. solid copper CW1308 or CAT5 cable and ensure a twisted pair is used.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gocat2005
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 15:31:16
Print Post

The BT engineer fitted the master socket which is like an NTE5 (but it is now called an SSFP when I check the BT "what sort of socket do I have" page). He connected the Blue wire to Pin 5 and White/Blue wire to Pin 2. The ADSL socket part just fits over that and plugs in removably.

If the ADSL socket is fitted, the router will not work on any extension. If the ADSL socket part is removed the router works on any extension (with a filter) but speed is lower.

I don't want to mess with the BT wiring - mind you when he arrived he couldn't work out which one was the master socket!

Edited by gocat2005 (Sun 10-Jan-16 15:32:51)

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:00:32
Print Post

All the extension wiring after the master socket is the householder's responsibility, so you are free to do what you like with that. It's the incoming wire which you can't touch (and to get to that you'd have to unscrew the socket from the wall).

What you have sounds more like the effect of an Interstitial plate, but without some technical information and/or photos of the front and back of this thing it's difficult to give advice. It sounds like this plate is just filtering all your extensions when it's in place and that will cut off any DSL type services.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:03:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I would have thought it extremely unlikely that its just poor quality wiring (which is very rarely so bad as to cut service off entirely). The OP reports that without the SSFP in place ADSL works, and that sounds more like an Interstitial plate too me. Frankly, I'm confused.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:17:21
Print Post

Just to follow up, are you sure it isn't one of these that you have? If so, that's an Interstitial plate (and it is removable via a slot). If it's a modern one you'll see two connections (called IDCs) on the Interstitial plate. What you have to then do is find out which is the wire for your chosen extension and take the two signal wires (it will be the blue and white/blue and connected to these IDCs on the faceplate). You need an IDC tool to do that (very cheap and easily available), although it is possible to do it with a thin bladed screwdriver. (They are called IDCs as it stands for "Insulation Displacement Connector). Basically a sharp metal slot that pierces the insulation and connects with the copper underneath.

I'm fairly convinced from your description that this is what you have.

Note that you may have a single extension wire and the extension sockets are simply daisy-chained (that is the wire goes to the first socket then onto the second). In that case, you might as well just run without the Interstitial socket as you'll gain nothing from what I describe. It will not be optimal though, and to do the job thoroughly you'd need to run a separate data extension wire from the Interstitial plate. Using CW1308 cable.

Note that if you do remove the Interstitial plate, you will need microfilters on any socket where you plug phones in.

http://www.burytec.com/interstitial-faceplate

**** edit ****

This may also be of help as it's got a picture with a red circle round the Interstitial's unfiltered output

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html

But bear in mind my other points. If all your extensions are just daisy-chained off using one extension cable, then it's pointless moving that to the Interstitial plate. You might as well run without it unless prepared to rejig the extension wiring.

Edited by TheEulerID (Sun 10-Jan-16 19:33:18)

Standard User gocat2005
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:36:36
Print Post

Many thanks for your help. Yes its an interstitial plate as you describe. If I remove it ADSL works on the extension sockets but at a lower speed. I will look at running another cable as you suggest.

I have a Type 5: SSFP Infinity socket as shown on the following page if the link is allowed

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to