General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 09:32:28
Print Post

Sadly looking for new provider

[link to this post]

Iíve been with AAISP for almost five years. I canít rate them too highly. Simply the bestÖ! Itís therefore with a heavy heart that I have to look for a new provider.

At the moment, Iím paying £25 per month for 100 gigs on ADSL 2+. Over the last couple of years, my Internet use has changed. I use more bandwidth in general. I also download data that takes ages on DSL. The new offering from AA is a steal for £60 per month http://aa.net.uk/news-2016-terabyte.html but thereís no way I can afford it. To upgrade my 100 gig allowance to 80/20 fibre with AA would cost £40 per month. Itís steep and in these dodgy financial times I need something slightly cheaper with more bandwidth for my pound.

Iím thinking about the Unlimited Fibre 2 option from Zenóminus phone lineóat £35.40:
https://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/fibre-op...

Opinions on this service would be most welcome but Iím open to ideas.

My only ďmust haveĒ is a UK call-centre.

Thanks for any tips smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Jan-16 11:17:45
Print Post

Re: Sadly looking for new provider

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Does that £25 include line rental? If not, who is it with?

Have you picked up that the Zen package you are thinking of is £35.40pm if you have line rental elsewhere? With most phone suppliers that ends you up well over £50pm.

What speed is your ADSL? I'm wondering if the AAISP Home::1 40/10 would suit - i.e. would that be a big jump from ADSL or only less than double? What is your FTTC speed estimate anyway?

How close to breaking the 100GB are you, as the AAISP £40 is still that. The 40/10 gives a few quid to play with to take it to 200GB.

Do you need landline PSTN phone service? Bear in mind the AAISP 1TB inludes the line, but no phone service. (VOIP available from them or anyone on it at low cost).

Other suppliers - Pulse8broadband is becoming popular on these forums at £44 unlimited 80/20 including line rental and PSTN service. No call package but calls are ridiculously cheap.

Others to look at, though depending on the package you choose from them they may be unlimited or week-daytime allowance and overnight unlimited are (alphabetically): Aquiss; uno; vivaciti. All with low cost line rental and calls like Pulse8broadband.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 15-Jan-16 11:19:13)

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jan-16 11:44:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My £25 does not include line rental. I rent from BT. My mother co-owns our home and will not shift elsewhere. Itís a big factor when I look at the providers you list. Many thanks.

The Zen package I looked at for £35.40 was without the phone line.

My ADSL sync is about 17 M. I ought to get near 80/20 in my patch of the woods.

Yes, the 40 mbps offering from ADSL is only £35 but Iím currently using 60-75 gigs, which doesnít leave much room for heftier downloads. I donít have a few extra quid to play around with and would not be keen to pay for additional bandwidth on what is now a slow fibre package.

If the 80/20 from AA was just a little cheaper or gave a few more gigs I wouldnít consider looking elsewhere.

Edited by ARD (Fri 15-Jan-16 11:54:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 15-Jan-16 11:54:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by ARD:
My £25 does not include line rental. I rent from BT. My mother co-owns our home and will not shift elsewhere.
BT Infinity would be the obvious choice.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-16 12:03:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by ARD:
My £25 does not include line rental. I rent from BT. My mother co-owns our home and will not shift elsewhere.
BT Infinity would be the obvious choice.

Doesn't meet the only requirement given:

My only ďmust haveĒ is a UK call-centre.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 15-Jan-16 12:05:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

They do on the number I use smile
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Jan-16 12:11:09
Print Post

You may also want to consider going direct with TalkTalk Business. They're currently offering half price on their ADSL2+ offering and they use a Warrington call centre, with many of their support staff being ex-Zen. You should be able to keep your BT line but you need to speak to them to over the phone though chances are they won't offer you the same bb price if you took line rental from them as well.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps