General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User axesgamedev
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 20:01:06
Print Post

Odd tbb speed test results?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm having problems with the speed of my line tongue

The think broadband speed tester gives me a result of 1.9mbps down and 0.3mbps up, which is super slow. Basically all other speed testers say the same thing.

The Ookla speedtest.net test gives me anything between 5.5 to 6mbps down and 0.4mbps up.

My billion 8800nl router is connected at the full line rate of 8128kbps of adsl max, the ip profile of my line is set to 6mbps, either because it's very long or because I just changed to a better modem and it hasn't reset yet.

Question 1: Why is the ookla speed test so different to the others? I'm with ee who throttle horribly so maybe they prioritise the ookla speed test over others?

Question 2: should i request my line ip profile to be reset or will it do it automatically after a few days of no router restarts? (I only restart it when necessary, I only got this router yesterday so if I wait a few days the ip profile should rise, correct?)

If you want my line stats just ask.

Thanks for looking,
Joseph
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Jan-16 20:17:46
Print Post

Re: Odd tbb speed test results?

[re: axesgamedev] [link to this post]

On 8128kbps sync your IP Profile should be 7.15MBps.

Run this test to find out what it is.

It can take up to 5 days to update if you only recently got the higher sync, above 7360kbps.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 15-Jan-16 20:19:37)

(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-16 20:51:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Robertos,

Here are the test results,

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
1.7 Mbps

7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.7 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6 Mbps

as you can see its a terrible connection speed, but a good range. Its currently 20 to 9pm so this is ee's peak time, aka throttling mania because i'm "out of their area"

btw, your website is brilliant, I got most of my adsl knowledge from there tongue I really appreciate you taking the time to make it smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 15-Jan-16 22:06:07
Print Post

Router or Modem stats would be useful. Can you get a set.

And if you have Task Manager - Networking tab running when you do the speedtests, what speeds does that suggest you are getting? Can you run a TBB test followed by an Ookla based one, then do a screen grab of the Task Manager window and post a link to a copy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Jan-16 22:11:44
Print Post

Thanks for the compliment re my website, but it does need several significant updates for later broadband developments. I don't wish to explain why I haven't done them, but I ought to get on with them.

Re the fact that the test says maximum achievable 7.15Mbps, which is correct for the 8.13Mbps (8128kbps to be precise) sync., but the IP Profile is stated as 6Mbps, we appear to have a situation I have seen Plusnet senior support staff detect in the past from some test ISPs can do. I don't know what that test is.

They call it an IP Profile imbalance. (Nothing to do with the Plusnet copy IP Profile, in case anyone reading thinks it is).

As far as I can gather the IP Profile is held in (at least) two places in the BT Wholesale system. One is a database that holds the calculated figure and which the test reports, which in your case is 7.15, and the other I think is within the DSLAM itself, and that the update of that has failed.

There is some reset they were able to run or get BTW to run that sorted it. Whether it was a straight DLM reset or something else I don't know.

If you can get that through to EE I doubt, but!

However, although this would limit your maximum speed to the DSLAM(?) figure, it doesn't account in any way for the huge variations you describe. That seems to be typical of many EE connections we see complained about here, simply insufficient throughput capacity resulting in congestion. There are two solutions to that. Wait for them to upgrade it, (how likely is that now their sale to BT has been authorised?), and migration. If out of contracted minimum term.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 08:37:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to robertos,

I think I'm going to leave the router on for a week or two and it (should) reset the lines ip profile to the new faster speed.

As for ee, my contract ends june/july this year so I should be able to leave soon (thank god) I used to be with orange who were ok but when ee bought them it just went downhill from there, hopefully bt purchasing ee might have a positive affect on the congestion.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to bookmark this thread and come back to it to report on the ip profile in about a weeks time
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 08:54:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to MHC,

Here are my router stats taken from the dslstats program,

Stats recorded 16 Jan 2016 08:46:44

DSLAM/MSAN type: TSTC:0x0000 / v0x0000
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6F039g1.d24m
DSL mode: G
Uptime: 6 min 45 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 16 Jan 2016 08:45:42)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 40.0 23.5
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 8128 448
SNR margin (dB): 2.9 19.0
Power (dBm): 19.8 12.3
Interleave depth: 64 8
INP: 1.00 1.00
G.INP: Not enabled

RSCorr/RS (%): 2.0290 0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%): 0.0028 0.0000
ES/hour: 0 0

as you can see line attenuation is very high because I have a really long line, but snr is very low because its actually a good quality line for once. Uptime is only 6 minutes because I recently restarted the router to begin the week of no restarts to try and raise my ip profile.

here is a tbb speed test i did: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

and an ookla one: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4998507611

the tbb one is definitely more accurate though, mainly because of the graph you can see ee's hopeless congestion.

Thanks for your help!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 16-Jan-16 09:23:44
Print Post

A screen shot of task manager taken during those would be useful - it will show if tthe actual speeds are very similar or massively different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 10:15:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I just did the test again this morning and its all changed, the ookla speed test and tbb are basically identical tongue i think its because there are allot less people online at 9 in the morning, so ee's congestion is gone. I'll come back to this thread in a weeks time when the ip profile has (hopefully) been raised.

Thanks for your help!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Jan-16 13:37:05
Print Post

If it was pure and simple congestion on the thinkbroadband test you would expect the HTTP and tbb results to be the other way around.

It may be congestion based, but looks as if influenced by traffic management by EE, i.e. when congestion is at its peaks they don't allow natural congestion but actively manage it

When behaving oddly try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest which is our non flash tester, and is also available via SSL at https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to