General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 19:07:57
Print Post

VPN encryption technologies.

[link to this post]

If you use a VPN, what encryption technology do you use?

OpenVPN appears to be the most secure but it is not directly supported on the Windows or Android devices that I have. I do have software that works.

Michael Chare
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:13:15
Print Post

Re: VPN encryption technologies.

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

IPSec (not L2TP/IPSec), strong authentication (not MD5), a short Security Association Life, AES encryption and, where possible, Perfect Forward Secrecy. I have a number of fixed site-to-site VPNs and remote mobile user VPNs.

I also use SSH for simpler remote access.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Thu 21-Jan-16 20:17:06)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:46:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
OpenVPN appears to be the most secure but it is not directly supported on the Windows or Android devices that I have. I do have software that works.

Am I missing something - https://openvpn.net/ ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:55:55
Print Post

Eh? OpenVPN is supported on Windows, Android, iOS etc using the native OpenVPN app as well as the VPN's suppliers app which in 99.9999% of cases will have an OpenVPN connection protocol.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps
Powered by [bDraytek 130 & ]Linksys EA8500
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 22:04:38
Print Post

For connecting to my server at home from anywhere nothing more interesting than SSH.

Diffie-Hellman key exchange, a reasonably strong cipher, just fine.

IPSEC in transport mode for my anywhere to home VPN. Nothing weaker than 1536 bit RSA for key exchange and 128 bit AES cipher on the list.

TLS 1.2 patched with latest and greatest for dialling out from home.

Beyond those I can't say I've obsessed that much over it. It's far more likely that someone who wants to read my traffic will pwn me with zero-day exploit malware than attempt to decrypt anything.

If you are worried about people attempting to decrypt your VPN traffic I have no idea what kind of enemies you have or what you feel you have to hide but am glad I don't share either your enemies or your need for such privacy.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 23:37:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Eh? OpenVPN is supported on Windows, Android, iOS etc using the native OpenVPN app as well as the VPN's suppliers app which in 99.9999% of cases will have an OpenVPN connection protocol.

For OpenVPN you have do use add ons for those OS. Both Windows and Android have support for a vaviety of other encryptions but not OpenVPV. So is it worth the extra effort of getting it to work?

Michael Chare
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jan-16 01:02:04
Print Post

IKEv2 (VPN Reconnect)!

AAISP Home::1
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jan-16 08:18:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

For OpenVPN you have do use add ons for those OS. Both Windows and Android have support for a vaviety of other encryptions but not OpenVPV. So is it worth the extra effort of getting it to work?

Definitely! Some VPN companies (eg the highly rated airvpn.org) only allow their service to be used via the OpenVPN protocol as they consider other protocols to be less secure. Like i said earlier its better you use the VPN supplier's app in Windows as that will also support OpenVPN and far less config is required....its just a matter of downloading the app, entering your login credentials and hitting 'connect'. While OpenVPN isn't natively supported in iOS & Android, there is an OpenVPN app available, you need to search for 'OpenVPN Connect' in google play store or iOS app store.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps