General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Sat 23-Jan-16 08:23:20
Print Post

BT OPENREACH SPLIT LOOKING MORE CERTAIN

[link to this post]

BT should be forced to sell the country's leading broadband provider because of poor performance, a report backed by 121 cross-party MPs has said.

The report, commissioned by ex-Tory chairman Grant Shapps, said BT's Openreach service had only partially extended superfast broadband despite £1.7bn of government money.

It should be sold off to increase competition, the report added.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 23-Jan-16 10:05:55
Print Post

Re: Something or other

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

Sorry, I couldn't hear what you said, as the Subject deafened me. What was it again please?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User somerset
(committed) Sat 23-Jan-16 13:59:38
Print Post

Re: BT OPENREACH SPLIT LOOKING MORE CERTAIN

As it could be £20B to cover the country what did they expect?

How would it being a seperate company increase competition?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 23-Jan-16 14:03:24
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

Say Sky and BT are competing for a customer to use them as an ISP

If BT own Openreach then BT don't care who wins as Openreach gets paid either way.

However, if BT don't own Openreach then BT care a great deal more about winning.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-16 14:17:03
Print Post

Shocking news. How is BT meant to fund those poor hard-up Premier League footballers without their Openreach monopoly raking in the cash?

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Jan-16 14:17:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So BT might become more forceful and dominant at the retail level if they work harder to win customers when the infrastructure is in the hands of a different firm?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 23-Jan-16 14:20:35
Print Post

Re: Shouted Subject

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Don't forget he only opened the thread, with a shout, to try to draw attention away from this earlier thread today, which is much more interesting apart from his contributions.

There's no point in having the same discussion in two places.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 23-Jan-16 14:31:28
Print Post

Re: Shouted Subject

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was just addressing the question of how it would increase competition, not bob2000's nonsense.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jan-16 15:02:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So BT might become more forceful and dominant at the retail level if they work harder to win customers when the infrastructure is in the hands of a different firm?

Yes, perfectly possible. The acquisition of EE was no co-incidence, BT is building its future from a monopoly/retail hybrid, to full retail. They hold the largest broadband provider and now also the largest mobile phone provider too.

In addition they have also made inroads to the television market, and are believed to be developing a rival channel to Sky One in addition to their sporting channels.

Even with the loss of Openreach they will still be very dominant.

Oliver.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 23-Jan-16 16:21:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What separating OR would surely do is remove virtually all the BT specific regulation that Ofcom applies as it will just be one of three major fixed line operators. One very obvious example is that BTR are always vulnerable to things like the "margin squeeze test" (which is not the same as predatory pricing). It means that BTR's packages are always open to scrutiny and challenge. Having that sort of burden removed could allow them to be much more aggressive.

There are also some other issues. At the moment, BTR alone have to carry the overheads of things like provision of lines on a social tariffs. Also, BTR are required to allow carrier pre-select, a choice of directory enquiry services and all sorts of other constraints not imposed on other fixed line operators. BTR also have to subsidise telephone boxes. I don't see how Ofcom could continue to impose such terms given that BTR would not have anything like the dominant position it had when the regulations were first imposed.

If BTR was able to relaunch with most of the debt (and pension deficit liability) landed on OR then it would give a great deal more commercial freedom with less regulation. I realise it is a lot of "ifs" there, but it would certainly require a huge change to regulation.

There is a further complication of course, and that's the position of BTW. They are not so tightly regulated as OR, but some of their services (backhaul from some exchanges, MSANs at exchanges etc.) are essential wholesale requirements for many smaller ISPs and, at some exchanges, for all ISPs.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to