I've been going stir crazy over the last few days as my ADSL connection throughput has dwindled from 3.8Mbps to er...
Down 0.48 / Up 0.64 Mbps with ping latencies from 49ms up to 350ms on speedtest.btwholesale.com
The BT phone line 1470... quiet test, is... quiet.
The BT Home hub 3 is directly plugged in the master socket.
I just swapped the filter out and am in the test socket now. After doing this I got a 3.18 Mbps download speed for one test and thought I'd found the problem. Now the throughput is miserable ISDN-liek speeds. I'm on a 4Mbps connection (profile?).
I swapped from the HHub3 to an old Netgear DG834Gv2 to see if the HHub3 was the culprit. Doesn't look that way. Throughput almost identical through the NetGear.
After a router reboot the speed 'seems' to pick up for a few test runs and then slowly slithers down to US Robotics 58K kind of throughput.
The router stats are at the bottom of this post. I have some non-telecomms engineer questions:
1) If I'm basically on a two wire system which handles both up and down traffic, how come I can get such massive attentuation differences between down and up? ...or are they measured differently?
2) A spin off of (1) - my upload is rock steady at ~600K and hardly twitches while the downloads lurches drunkenly from one throughput to another. I'm running these tests now at midnight so there's not much contention. Why does the throughput swing arround quite so badly?
3) With 5400 secs of uptime, how come I have 9K of error seconds? [This really freaks me!]
4) No FEC events? Is that cos HHub3 isn't using FEC or what?!?
5)For a zero loss of framing, I have a colossal load of CRC events which almost all are HEC events too. (I guess an HEC triggers a CRC statistic or vice versa or no?). I'd expect to have some losses in the next network 'layer' with such a large number of errors. (I'm more used to looking at FCAL stats.)
I haven't a clue in the world what's dropped out here. I got to work from home as my wife has MS but this bandwidth isn't going to cut it for my work! (
I spoke to a bright young BT lady in India who could see all this and we put it down to excess water round underground cabling - especially as the water board have been flooding the road outside while installing meters everywhere. However the water table drops in a few days round here and this is stubbornly persisting after nearly a week.
I renewed my BT packages and they're going to move me to Fibre but that's 2 weeks away and may not even cure the problem.
Any input/help/wisdom eagerly received!
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 01:27:26
Downstream: 3.43 Mbps
Upstream: 787.7 Kbps
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.4 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 51.8 dB / 32.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 275974 / 36
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 271809 / 14
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 9020 / 4