General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 16:03:04
Print Post

BT socket history page pics redacted, new link

[link to this post]

An extremely useful wiki page with pics of the insides of old sockets has had the gallery of pictures removed. (Jan 18 2016 by the look of it). It was brilliant for helping people identify what they have and which of their sockets is or isn't a master.

The page as it was, with the gallery, is still available on this Wayback Machine's archives page.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 28-Jan-16 16:04:18)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jan-16 10:13:14
Print Post

Re: BT socket history page pics redacted, new link

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You don't have yo go to the wayback machine to view it - you can go to the history page on wikipedia.

It's the 14:17, 16 November 2015‎ edit that you need to view: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=British_t...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 30-Jan-16 10:41:09
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I have asked, and been told there is no reason I shouldn't restore it. It hasn't apparently been done because of policy or a BT request. I have all the image links, so I shall. After I've done my tax return.

I did find it later on the history page. IIRC that is in fact Wayback Machine anyway smile. I haven't meticulously checked the history link against the one I give, and messy on iPad, but they did look very similar.

One of the volunteers at wiki has opened a conversation about it asking for opinions, I'll give you the link to that when using my laptop. It's in an email. I will post there as well giving the reasons I shall restore it, once we see if anyone else has posted, and a similar note on the restored version.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Sat 30-Jan-16 10:51:36
Print Post

Reading the Wiki comments/history for the entry, the gallery of photos has been considered something of an image dump rather than extra useful information.

If the images were moved into a section on the different socket types with a bit more text for each image the Wikipedians might be happier.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 30-Jan-16 11:04:00
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

I know. I read that. It's been there for a long time. It appears someone outside wiki, just someone like you or I, took it upon themselves to action the comment.

Wiki team agree with me it isn't a random dump and not against policy. That they have no quibble with me restoring it. They even offered to restore it themselves if I didn't feel confident enough to do so.

There's nothing to discuss really. I might miss out some of the non-socket pics, depending on what they are.

Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Jan-16 14:47:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I have asked, and been told there is no reason I shouldn't restore it. It hasn't apparently been done because of policy or a BT request. I have all the image links, so I shall. After I've done my tax return.

ISTR Wikipedia includes a 'undo' option against any change letting one automatically reverse edits..
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 30-Jan-16 15:45:04
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Thanks smile. The snag with that is I would be able to check when I last referred someone to it, and I can see the date of the last edit. But otyher things may have changed in the meantime and it's easier just to replace the gallery. Middle of tax return at the moment, taking a break.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jan-16 16:07:44
Print Post

The wikipedia history page has full details of each edit and you can do compares!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Jan-16 21:05:08
Print Post

Why do you keep making me feel so old LOL

I even remember the "GPO Plan 4 socket and plug" frown

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 30-Jan-16 23:44:59
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

'Tis sorted, with luck not having removed the two later edits of 18 Jan.

Edit - I've now removed the multi-way adapters, as those did seem a bit irrelevant.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 31-Jan-16 00:18:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to