General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-16 13:54:12
Print Post

Mystery of an ethernet cable

[link to this post]

My sister just moved into her house so im currently the 'tech' guy sorting everything out. Near where the previous owners had their router there are 2 ethernet cable that comes out from the wall. One has a blue casing tge other grey. I assumed they had this installed so they can have a wired connection to a TV/PC/console in an another room

Ive found where one of the ethernet cables comes out (main bedroom), but ive been around the whole house and no where does the blue ethernet cable come out of the wall. It must lead somewhere but cannot find the other end laugh

Edited by bobble_bob (Sun 31-Jan-16 13:55:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Jan-16 13:57:49
Print Post

Re: Mystery of an ethernet cable

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Tried using a cable finder to see where it is heading off too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:04:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No not yet. Previous owners seemed to have most of the house wired up with phone cables and tv aerials going into most rooms. Just cant find this one

I thought cable finders were just for power cables?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:27:11
Print Post

Various modes usually, i.e. can set to detect live cables or metal usually.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:27:18
Print Post

Have you tried the Loft/Attic, Garage, Cupboards, Basement etc.

Regarding the Cable Finder, keep in mind that most are mini metal detectors, helping to find nails, metal water pipes etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:28:12
Print Post

Where is the master socket and what's on the back of the faceplate?

How do you know this location is where the router was? Is it possible it really was a router, not a modem/router, and a modem was near the master? Particularly if it was FTTC.

Another possibility is it leads/led to a WAP in the loft.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:40:19
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Not checked the loft yet, other places i have
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:43:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The previous occupants kindly left a a few notes saying they originally had 2 phone lines, but then went back to 1 line and had FTTC installed with one of them filtered faceplates, and this is where the enternet cable is

There is a master socket near the main door of the house, this then had a cable coming from within the box to another socket in the living room which is the filtered Openreach faceplace

Edited by bobble_bob (Sun 31-Jan-16 14:44:05)

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:44:41
Print Post

If the cables have been routed so that they are hidden (under floorboards etc), one possibility is that a second spare cable has been run as a backup in case the first has a problem and the end is still under the floorboards at the termination point. Another possibility is that the cable has been run somewhere for future use and to save pulling up floorboards etc at the time, has been left ready to be pulled through when required. I've done this myself when needing to lift/replace carpets and left the cable pushed under the floor of the next room. Normally I mark all network, telephone and power cable routes on the floorboards with marker pen, together with a note what they are for.

Edited by rogerfp (Sun 31-Jan-16 14:51:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:48:33
Print Post

The blue is probably the feed from the modem to the router then. It won't be wired to the A/B unfiltered terminals on the interstitial, as that would present a phone socket or plug at the blue end, rather than an Ethernet connector.

Having said that, what is on the ends at all locations? Ethernet plugs, or non-mounted sockets?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to