General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kebabselector
(regular) Thu 04-Feb-16 11:09:58
Print Post

ADSL Modes: G.DMT vs G.992.5

[link to this post]

Just a bit of an info request - in a bored moment at night I was dabbling with my router. The ADSL mode was set to multimode - which I've guessing auto-senses whatever signal comes down the line from the exchange.

Now whilst bored I switched to G.DMT mode which knocked about 200kbps off my download speed, but increase my upload by the same amount.

Changing the setting to G.992.5 (which is what the multimode detected) reverted it back to normal.

So a question, I sometimes need a bit more upload speed so would it cause problems switching to G.DMT mode for a while, or for the sake of losing 200k on the download just leave set in this mode.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Thu 04-Feb-16 11:14:49
Print Post

Re: ADSL Modes: G.DMT vs G.992.5

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Try Adsl2 ......G.922.3
(member) Thu 04-Feb-16 11:22:27
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

As it's an ADSL 2+ line would that cause issues? or does the line adapt to what's attached to it?

Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Feb-16 11:31:30
Print Post

It would not cause an issue, but will probably give you the best of both worlds because the system logic is flawed in nearly all routers.

Watch the attenuation. On ADSL/G.DMT and ADSL2 it is normally ~3dB lower than on ADSL2+. On longish lines this extra 3dB attenuation can prevent ADSL2+ giving a higher sync, and even cause it to give a lower one than the other two.

ADSL2 is usually the best choice on these lines as it uses the bins/frequencies more efficiently than G.DMT/ADSL.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 04-Feb-16 11:32:21)

(member) Thu 04-Feb-16 12:48:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, I've have a dabble around the settings. I've got plenty of time before FTTC arrives at my cab!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Feb-16 13:11:32
Print Post

Remember that well inside daylight hours is the best time to connect for highest speed. Outside those the background noise is normally higher, resulting in a lower connection speed.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 12:26:21
Print Post

The pings look different.

I'll keep my eye on things.

ADSL2+ Ping

My Broadband Ping

ADSL2 Ping

My Broadband Ping

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Feb-16 13:26:41
Print Post

What about the connection speed and attenuation?

(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 15:25:53
Print Post

Attentuation is 40
SNR Margin 8

Upload 1104kps Download 6232kps

Router is a Draytek 2710n which I've had for a few years now.

/edit updated up/down speed

Edited by kebabselector (Sat 06-Feb-16 19:02:47)

Print Thread

Jump to