General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User herbie1207
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-16 12:50:55
Print Post

bt

[link to this post]

i just had a conversation with bt options dept i am on infinity one unlimited up to 38 mbps i asked about infinity two but the nice man was honest and said i would get the same speed on infinity two as i am getting on infinity one so why is this he says it is because of the distance i am from exchange infinity two is up to 76 mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Feb-16 12:54:27
Print Post

Re: bt

[re: herbie1207] [link to this post]

Infinity 1 and Infinity are the same VDSL2 technology underneath. The difference is that if you connect at say 44 Mbps on Infinity 2 you would get slightly higher downloads than if you bought Infinity 1 that is capped at 38 Mbps download speeds.

So yes distance from the cabinet is the factor, so only if you are nailing 37 to 38 Mbps on speed tests with 8 to 9 Mbps uploads too, is there a chance that an upgrade to Infinity 2 will give better speeds, i.e. it will remove the cap. How far can be judged from router stats or https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-16 13:40:06
Print Post

[re: herbie1207] [link to this post]

Deleted

Edited by professor973 (Sat 06-Feb-16 13:41:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-16 13:41:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Though the OP stated BT were referring to exchange distance ??
Standard User lee111s
(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 13:43:44
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I suspect either the OP, or the customer service agent confused exchange with cabinet, distance to the exchange is irrelevant for FTTC connectivity as I'm sure you're aware.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-16 13:46:43
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Judjing by my post, it looks like I'm aware, though I was pointing out that Andrew was posting as if he was not, which I am sure you are aware!

Edited by professor973 (Sat 06-Feb-16 13:47:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Feb-16 14:59:33
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I was fully aware, and just made the assumption they were actually referring to the green street cabinet as other poster suggested.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MC31
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-16 18:32:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A lot of punters call a cab a exch, so i just call it a green box !

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Feb-16 22:41:58
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

Most people call the PCP the green box. A lot of Virgin Media cabinets are also green boxes.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Feb-16 22:58:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've never noticed anyone referring to a cab as an exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to