General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gadgetoy
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-16 10:47:03
Print Post

2 broadband connections at home? Should I?

[link to this post]

Hi guys, I hope you can help

I have quite a slow broadband connection 3mbps download speed. I would consider anything to get faster broadband. There is no sign of faster broadband coming to my area soon and it's annoying me so much.
My broadband is unlimited and paid for by my employer (nice,I know), this on a separate line to my house phone and everything (tablets, laptops, consoles, skybox) uses it.
I am wondering is there any benefit to getting another broadband connection into the house (on my regular land line). This will obviously ease the load but work at the same speed. I am guessing the difference will still be negligible and not fast enough to download a tv programme (normally takes overnight to download a catch up film) or console online.
I've even thought about 4g home options as I reckon that will be quicker too.
It's just a mind field of choices, of which I'm not sure they will benefit me. I hope that made sense.
Any help would be gratefully received.
G
Standard User lee111s
(member) Tue 09-Feb-16 11:44:51
Print Post

Re: 2 broadband connections at home? Should I?

[re: Gadgetoy] [link to this post]

While it wouldn't increase your download speed, as you say, it would spread the load of all devices.

3meg should be quick enough to game online, so you could, if you wished, use one line solely for gaming and have the other line for other devices. Or connect some devices to the second line (most are using wifi I assume) when you're not gaming. This would, effectively give you 6meg (if the second line performed the same as the first) to split between the devices.

What's your postcode and I'll check to see if there are any fibre plans.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Feb-16 12:08:48
Print Post

Presume this is an ADSL or ADSL2+ service, if so what are the actually connection statistics from the router, feed these into http:///www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc

You'd be surprised the number who are on an older service when faster is available, or just need some tweaking to get better speeds.

3 Mbps should be enough for live SD streaming, and if you had 4.5 Mbps or so, then streaming HD becomes feasible (some HD is under 3 Mbps), so a little surprised that films take all night to download.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Tue 09-Feb-16 19:49:16
Print Post

You could do line bonding, and have yourself 6mbit.

I do this with two ~47mbit FTTC lines.
  Print Thread

Jump to