General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Feb-16 12:16:29
Print Post

Phone and broadband contract question

[link to this post]

I just had my phone line activated full llu with Sky and leaving out details i wanna migrate away before my cooling off period runs out asap. How do i go about this i want no to minimal down time. Can i just order a package from a new provider within cooling off period or do i have to contact Sky first?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-16 12:36:24
Print Post

Re: Phone and broadband contract question

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

You should be able to contact another provider to get the ball rolling but I think you would also need to inform Sky you are moving within the calling off period as otherwise it may be too late.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Feb-16 13:09:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I talked to BT via there online chat and the guy i talked to seemed to think i would need to cancel Sky in this situation and then contact the new ISP and that i would obviously then get downtime. Is that correct because i will do that if needed but it will be annoying.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Feb-16 13:12:21
Print Post

Migration should in theory be possible, but its in that time frame of a recent move such that something going wrong is much higher

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Feb-16 13:41:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok this is the situation i am in. just over two weeks ago i find out that fibre is available in my area and checkers for my line say 50 to 70mb. I phone my isp Sky who i was with for broadband and TV but not phone that was BT. So i phone Sky since i am with them for broadband and ask if i can get fibre. The 1st person i talked to because this becomes important later on said yes but i would need Sky talk first and once it is active i can order fibre he even talked to me about what kind of speed i could expect. So i go ahead and get Sky talk it was a bit cheaper than i paid BT for line rental and there talk package anyway so i can order fibre on the 8th.

Yesterday the 8th it went active i phone Sky to order fibre and 2nd Sky person tells me since Sky talk has just gone active i need to phone back tomorrow so today. Today i phone and basically get told that the 1st and 2nd people were wrong and although fibre is active in my area BT haven't given Sky access to it yet. Um what? i wish they had told me that on the first phone call with them so i could have simply phoned BT and switched my broadband from Sky to BT while i was already with BT for phoneline.

What is even worse of all is since my phoneline went full llu and changed to Sky completely for phone too (i was always with them for broadband alone just not phone part) it has now slowed my broadband down from a 9.8mbit sync to 7.2 that is quite a drop and my line attenuation has increased.

Also fibre checkers since Sky talk went active have changed from 50-70mb for fibre estimates to
47Mb-63Mb

This has left me quite annoyed.

I think i will cancel Sky completely and live with the downtime and go back to BT for fibre and line rental talk etc.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-16 14:27:23
Print Post

Today i phone and basically get told that the 1st and 2nd people were wrong and although fibre is active in my area BT haven't given Sky access to it yet

I don't believe that "BT haven't given Sky access". Sky work differently to most ISPs in the way they take fibre services and have to themselves do work at the exchange - I suspect they haven't done that yet.

Also fibre checkers since Sky talk went active have changed from 50-70mb for fibre estimates to
47Mb-63Mb

Estimates are estimates - no matter when you sign up it is irrelevant as they fluctuate as do line speeds. It is possible that a number of people have signed up and that the cross talk has increased. Even if you signed up when the estimate was higher you would still only have got whatever your line was capable of.

Sky should have told you when you first spoke to them that they hadn't yet done their bit at the exchange. If you want to go back to BT then I would ring Sky, tell them you are going to migrate within the cooling off period and then contact BT to get the ball rolling. I would also contact Sky via a written medium just to confirm to ensure they can't then say that you hadn't told them.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Feb-16 14:35:10
Print Post

Thanks for your reply. There is something, I have always liked Sky's network on dsl whatever i sync at i get 24/7 which is why i wanted them at first as my fibre isp still.
If i just waited how long do Sky take normally to install there equipment into the exchange so i can get there fibre?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-16 14:42:15
Print Post

I don't know how long it takes but I am sure I remember some exchanges where Sky decided not to at all - presumably because of the costs and not enough customers on the exchange. It is also possible they have already done it but for some reason Sky haven't got the right data on your record - do you know if there are other cabs on your exchange that are already FTTC - if so then checking if any of them can get Sky Fibre would be interesting as it is an exchange level change not cab level.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Feb-16 15:16:06
Print Post

If this is the first cabinet on an exchange it can be a few days to a couple of months or never.

Without knowing the exchange and thus being able to see the history of when other cabinets have gone live and whether we see Sky FTTC speeds from people on that exchange hard to say more.

The most likely scenario is that the FTTC systems that Openreach and BT Wholesale run have updated, and just needs the same to happen at Sky - unless this is the first cabinet on the handover exchange.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Feb-16 15:24:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is the exchange

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SSSHE

Edit that says fttc not available when BT say i can get it and all checkers do... ok this is getting weirder.

Edited by blackmesa8 (Tue 09-Feb-16 15:26:02)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to