General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 11-Feb-16 01:22:15
Print Post

Virgin Media Termination

[link to this post]

I believe I know the answer but wanted to check:

With an incoming co-axial Virgin Media service, is there any way it can be terminated in a small comms room in a basement and then fed up to the main apartment to give full TV and broadband capability?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Feb-16 01:43:26
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Termination

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I don't see why not, you could just join the extra coax from where Virgin Media installed it and route the coax to where you want it.

Now whether Virgin Media will allow this is another question, in theory they own everything and are responsible for the coax in your building and all their hardware, basically you don't own anything, which is why they will repair or replace any faulty equipment due to everyday usage free of charge.

But I might be wrong.

Paul
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 11-Feb-16 08:13:20
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Can their hardware also be in the basement with a coax and cat5e running up from it? Or does their termination hardware need to be "visible" to the end user?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Feb-16 07:32:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Can their hardware also be in the basement with a coax and cat5e running up from it? Or does their termination hardware need to be "visible" to the end user?
Sorry for the delay, was ill.

Erm, yeah, that would be the best bet, that way your not touching VM's cables.

One thing to know is are you getting the TV Package, or is it just for the broadband?

Actually that wouldn't be an issue at all, the Tivo Box has an Ethernet connection, so yeah connect the VM Router/Modem in the basement, and run a CAT5e or Cat6 from their to up stairs to all your Tivo's if you have any and your LAN.

That should work.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to