General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Feb-16 22:55:03
Print Post

Strange issue with PS4 and wifi

[link to this post]

Just purchase a PS4 and its connected via wifi. Noticed yesterday when i turned it on the wifi on my TV stopped working, and never came back on even after my PS4 was turned off.

Didnt think much of it, but today i turn the PS4 on, and my phone loses wifi and does a soft reboot before reconnecting seconds after turning the PS4 on. So either the wifi on the PS4 is conflicting, or the bluetooth controller is. This doesnt happen everytime so hard to replicate.

Only way to narrow it down is to buy an ethernet cable and wire it to rule out wifi as the cause, but need to buy one first. I know bluetooth uses the same frequency as wifi, but i thought the minute i turned the PS4 off the TV should reconnect as the intereference has gone, but it didnt

Strange how the phone rebooted too

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 11-Feb-16 22:55:21)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-16 09:06:30
Print Post

Re: Strange issue with PS4 and wifi

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Have you tried rebooting the router? It's possible that the allocation tables in the router have become confused and kicking off a device when another is connected. Unless there is something seriously wrong with the PS4 then it shouldn't be interfering with other devices when connecting to your router.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-16 09:14:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I rebooted the router last night and so far ive turned the PS4 on/off 6 or so times to test it and its not happened since. Although as i mentioned the problem was/isnt something that happens everytime, so will need to keep an eye on it

Still no idea how any possible interference could reboot my phone though

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-16 09:17:38
Print Post

Personally I would say the phone rebooting was coincidence - it would take something very wrong for the PS4 to cause the phone to reboot.

What phone is it? It is possible there was a bug in the OS that whatever was wrong on the router triggered by the PS4 booting caused a crash in the OS. I don't think interference has anything to do with it - more likely something in software in the router/phone causing a freak event.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-16 09:21:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Its an S5.

And yea i get ya. It wasnt a full reboot either. If i check how long the device has been it says its been over a week which was the last time i rebooted it, but the second i turned the PS4 on the screen went white on the phone before coming back on. But yea im learning towards some strange bug in andriod

Edited by bobble_bob (Fri 12-Feb-16 09:21:25)

Standard User APTMAN
(regular) Fri 12-Feb-16 23:19:01
Print Post

Are they both trying to use the same IP address ?.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 08:29:30
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

Should be have DHCP on and no static IP. And looking in the router logs the PS4 was assigned an unused IP
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Feb-16 10:15:36
Print Post

Just a weird thought .....

Could it be that the power supply on the PS4 is duff, and is kicking out RF, you plug it in and presto, it bleeds errors and cack all over your connection ?

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 11:13:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

If it was RF from the power supply would expect the connection to be awful when the PS4 is on. However my connection on my PC and phone is fine. No errors, speeds ok etc

Since rebooting router cant reproduce it, so touch wood that fixed it
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Feb-16 12:31:35
Print Post

Fair enough, as I said, just a thought.

Print Thread

Jump to