General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User axesgamedev
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-16 09:10:58
Print Post

Line fault - Increased SNR Margin?

[link to this post]

Hello,

Last Wednesday our line began to have a fault, the line was crackly and the phone disconnected frequently, the dsl speed plummeted to 160kbps, which is slow enough to time out website when trying to load them. Before the fault I was getting a consistent sync speed of 7000-7300 kbps. Anyway the fault is fixed now, the bt engineer spliced a new section of cable in. Problem is that now my snr margin is completely ruined haha. I had it down to about 3 dB using my billion 8800nl before, however now it's hovering around 10 dB. This means that i'm getting a sync of about 5500kbps. The strange thing is that now the line has been fixed my dsl estimates from bt have gone higher than before tongue Anyway, does anyone know if my snr will return to normal if I leave the router for a few days/weeks with no resyncs? I would like my previous speed back smile
Standard User lee111s
(member) Thu 18-Feb-16 09:13:02
Print Post

Re: Line fault - Increased SNR Margin?

[re: axesgamedev] [link to this post]

Providing the line is fixed then yes, DLM will reduce the SNR over time. You could call your ISP and ask them to reset it manually.
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-16 09:18:50
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

That's good news. I'm with ee who are definitely more trouble than it's worth to call them I think i'll just wait it out.

Thanks for your help!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GonePostal
(learned) Thu 18-Feb-16 16:16:45
Print Post

There is the option in the 8800NL GUI to set the SNR manually. Have a look at Configuration > WAN > SNR.
(newbie) Fri 19-Feb-16 08:46:58
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Yeah, I know. But if the snr is really high in the first place you are really only setting it as a 'target', the router will try and set it to that but if its super high all it will do is lower it by a few. That's my experience with it anyway.
Standard User 961a
(member) Fri 19-Feb-16 10:16:57
Print Post

Try reducing it to 6 early morning Sat or Sun (6am-9am) and then leave it alone for a week and you should be able to reduce it again if you wish

Check that there are no disconnections over the week and ensuure router is not switched off for any reason
(newbie) Fri 19-Feb-16 10:25:30
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Sure, i'll give that a try next week because the snr should have gone down a little by then anyway.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Feb-16 10:51:01
Print Post

It used to be a reduction of 3dB at intervals of 10-14 days, given acceptable error rates. It didn't require the router to be left on permanently, though it may be a good idea.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to