General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-16 23:46:47
Print Post

What's on the pole?

[link to this post]

Some new poles arrived early January, and linesmen followed shortly after. Two views of the most interesting looking pole:
http://postimg.org/image/b8udssezt/
http://postimg.org/image/f5cb2ipd5/
Existing copper wiring was diverted to this pole and some new fibre and associated kit arrived at the same time. I imagine this will be the distribution point for fibre to nearby houses but would be pleased to know the identity and purposes of the various bits of kit associated with the fibre.

Also can you tell me: The village nearby is being upgraded to FTTC - new cabinets have just been installed and there is about to be a good deal of duct unblocking. Their exchange is supplying our fibre. Does the fibre line come direct and uninterrupted from the exchange, bypassing the cabinet, or is it served from the cabinet?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Feb-16 00:07:18
Print Post

Re: What's on the pole?

[re: sandcastle] [link to this post]

The second image has a Fibre Manifold (i.e. a black bottle) on it.
The first image on the left is an enclosure for phone lines, normally located in their chamber, and the enclosure on the right and middle I have no clue.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Feb-16 07:35:49
Print Post

At least some people are getting FTTP

On the fibre route, there will be fibre aggregation node near the cabinet and if the routing is roughly sensible then the FTTP fibres will be some leaving that aggregation node.

A VDSL2 cabinet does not have the FTTP entering or leaving it i.e. a car can wipe it out and the FTTP will continue working.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Fri 19-Feb-16 10:08:33
Print Post

A copper joint closure, a fibre manifold and a DACS remote unit,
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 19-Feb-16 10:30:48
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
A copper joint closure, a fibre manifold and a DACS remote unit,

You forgot to mention, Foot Rest, Pole, Iron, 2 off and comment that the finial is missing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to