General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sat 20-Feb-16 16:18:54
Print Post

Adsl 8mb to ADSL2+

[link to this post]

What does this entail happening at the exchange? Is it just a firmware update on the line cards in the DSLAM?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Feb-16 16:37:53
Print Post

Re: Adsl 8mb to ADSL2+

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

If referring to IPStream Max to WBC ADSL2+ then

1. Running in fibre which is linked to the IP core network, rather than old ATM network
2. Installing new DLSAM
3. Linking this DSLAM to the copper wiring

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Mon 22-Feb-16 20:37:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wow! Im shocked Openreach have done this at my exchange. Fibre to practically every cab, and those far away from the exchange wont benefit from adsl2+. So they have upgraded the exchange for the few close to the exchange who wont pay any more yet get a speed boost, yet already were on a decent 8mb speed, now upto 21Mb. Where is the incentive to go fibre for them when they are close to the exchange and have great fast speeds already (not superfast) for cheap prices?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Feb-16 20:46:31
Print Post

Perhaps the IPstream hardware is falling to pieces by now and needed to be upgraded.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:09:32
Print Post

WBC ADSL2+ doubles upstream for almost all lines and will give better downloads out a few km's and the new IP based backhaul means much better peak time capacity. Also IP Profile is a lot kinder.

And ADSL2+ is a BT Wholesale product

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Thu 25-Feb-16 10:08:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Still think they should have left the old adsl max kit, give more incentive to make more people pay for fibre, and use the money spent on the adsl2+ kit to enable fibre to more premises instead of relying on bduk funding!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Feb-16 10:20:59
Print Post

This does happen in some exchanges i.e. Max but with FTTC option, the reasons are varied and would need to review the exchange and surrounding areas fully to say if the usual pattern applies or it is an odd one.

Standard User sor
(learned) Thu 25-Feb-16 15:13:26
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Perhaps the IPstream hardware is falling to pieces by now and needed to be upgraded.

My exchange was similarly upgraded to WBC ADSL2+ after FTTC/FTTP had already been deployed.

It was one of the last exchanges to get the big ADSL rollout back in the day (mid 2005, only 2000 lines or so, never met its rollout threshold when BT still did those), so I can't see the IPstream equipment being too old (though it will be just as EOL as the rest). I suspect the main driver was that TalkTalk had recently LLU'd it?

I remember reading somewhere that BT wanted to reclaim the DSLAMs for spares for those which it had not upgraded yet. I thought the point of the 21CN was to abandon the old ATM network, so wouldn't it have been better to spend the cash on the areas that need it more (that have no realistic prospect of FTT*)?

Edited by sor (Thu 25-Feb-16 15:15:41)

Print Thread

Jump to