General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Feb-16 19:38:16
Print Post

So what can you do on a 383k broadband line

[link to this post]

So have been at my parents house for the last few days, where they have 5 phones and a lot of "internal wiring". The alarm company looks to have pooched the line, which I have not had time to fix.

The download speed is 383K and the upload is 799K on an adsl2+? line.

so what can you do on a 383K download line.

* Post on thinkbroadband.com for one
* Look at normal web sites like msn.com, but a bit slow, if some video on the page
* Access web email and internet banking services
* Run an intelligent printer and print to it via email.
* Connect onto the work's VPN service and download emails etc.
* Use the work VPN to then run internal Lync voice and screen share calls. One or 2 glitches when new email comes in.
* Just about watch Netflix. For a 40-50min series episode, you get several(about 3) 2-3min stutters while Netflix buffers the video. Impressed with Netflix on such a low bandwidth line.
* Only have one user using the internet for video, as this takes up the whole 383k

Just need to take some time to fix the wiring when I am there next, or call in a plumber. I want my 5860K download back!!!!!!

IanD
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Feb-16 21:02:07
Print Post

Re: So what can you do on a 383k broadband line

[re: iand] [link to this post]

It just goes to show that most people probably don't need "superfast" and up.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!

Edited by Deadbeat (Thu 25-Feb-16 21:02:32)

Standard User Danh_Gbwe
(newbie) Fri 26-Feb-16 02:34:58
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Well, most live off their phone contracts do they not?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Feb-16 09:47:36
Print Post

[re: Danh_Gbwe] [link to this post]

Do they?

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Feb-16 10:07:37
Print Post

Presume the attenuation suggests that much higher speeds are possible

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(regular) Fri 26-Feb-16 11:31:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by iand:
* Just about watch Netflix. For a 40-50min series episode, you get several(about 3) 2-3min stutters while Netflix buffers the video. Impressed with Netflix on such a low bandwidth line.
* Only have one user using the internet for video, as this takes up the whole 383k

When I had a 1.2Mb adsl connection Netflix advised me they would not accept a subscription as the line was too slow,also couldn't watch iPlayer without buffering and most times it refused to work on a smart tv, so would download programs to watch later. Only now with a 3.2Mb FTTC connection can I reliably stream one SD program.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Feb-16 13:13:21
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

A lot depends on the client and server software, some streams are delivered in a much more rate adaptive manner, others have a fixed bit rate.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Danh_Gbwe
(newbie) Fri 26-Feb-16 14:34:33
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
Do they?

They don't? I'm not talking of the hardcore internet people. Your average joe are happy with 3G/4G everywhere.

Edited by Danh_Gbwe (Fri 26-Feb-16 14:37:30)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Feb-16 19:32:39
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burble:

When I had a 1.2Mb adsl connection Netflix advised me they would not accept a subscription as the line was too slow,also couldn't watch iPlayer without buffering and most times it refused to work on a smart tv, so would download programs to watch later. Only now with a 3.2Mb FTTC connection can I reliably stream one SD program.
So get Sky wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User burble
(regular) Fri 26-Feb-16 20:34:01
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by burble:

So get Sky wink

The only person I knew that my ex boss 'captain bob' was wary off, was Murdock (some might say he should have been more wary of Mossad) so I'm [censored] if I'll have much to do with him or his companies.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to