General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 26-Feb-16 17:51:13
Print Post

Operators to pay compensation when broadband is slow

[link to this post]

According to the Daily Telegraph, operators will have to pay compensation when consumers suffer slow broadband.

I wonder how this will work. My Post Office broadband can become almost unusable in the evening most likely because the back haul from the exchange is under configured.

Can I look forward to some compensation, or hopefully better performance?

Michael Chare
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Feb-16 18:06:59
Print Post

Re: Operators to pay compensation when broadband is slow

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

If it's based on a minimum 10 meg then it's going to be impossible to implement. I could barely get that over FTTC so what would happen then? Would ISP's be forced to provide FTTP?

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User B31
(member) Fri 26-Feb-16 18:56:13
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

My broadband would almost be free at £75 per fault (think I've had three or four CAB disconnections and one HR fault in four years).

It'll be interesting to see what the operators do if the fault is not their problem - presumably if speed drops due to interference from another property they won't want to pay out!

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Feb-16 19:29:14
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

How this works and the levels of compensation will be out to consultation in 2016.

Aim is more to push Openreach to offer compensation automatically, but for it to work needs retailers to play ball too, and as highlighted already not all 'faults' are down to Openreach e.g. backhaul capacity is often down to purchasing decisions of the retailer or their associated provider.

Also a danger that while Openreach is heavily regulated, the retailers may simply add another 75p to line rental, so that the chunk they pay out from their slice is spread across all users i.e. consider it an insurance payment.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 27-Feb-16 05:39:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

if the regulation is wholesale side only its pointless, if ofcom want to prove they learning their lesson this needs to be done on the retail side.

e.g. its no good openreach pay a CP for missed appointments when that doesnt get passed onto the end user.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sat 27-Feb-16 08:44:41
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

My Post Office broadband can become almost unusable in the evening

I think the journalist has jumped to conclusion there I don't think "reduction of service" = "slow".

That may mean one of your services is not working ie either PSTN or xDSL.

I don't think anybody is going to get ££ when the broadband is "only" running slow.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Feb-16 08:54:46
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

The 10meg target seems to say otherwise. However, until this is all ratified, we can't assume anything.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Feb-16 11:53:54
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
The 10meg target seems to say otherwise. However, until this is all ratified, we can't assume anything.

There are always a certain amount of get-out clauses that relate to congestion during peak hours.

For example, within BDUK:
Even though the normal superfast speed target is 25Mbps+ or 30Mbps+, that refers to the access capability during uncongested period. The specifications for behaviour in congested peak hour periods end up specifying something like 15Mbps for 90% of the peak period - which obviously allows it to fall below 15Mbps for 10% of the peak period.

You can bet that a USO of 10Mbps will come with similar clauses.

And you can bet that any SLA terms that trigger a "slow speed" payment will come with similar clauses ... but they might allow a period for the ISP to rectify the problem.

You can be absolutely sure that one speedtest result will not be enough to trigger a payment.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Feb-16 12:07:10
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

You can be absolutely sure that one speedtest result will not be enough to trigger a payment.

And rightly so.

So many times I have seen people moaning about speeds, but investigation finds it due to the punters equipment, duff wireless etc.

And think of it, any ISP who had adslmax as a punter would be skint in weeks !

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-Feb-16 13:06:27
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

If that is the case Ofcom needs to get a LOT bigger, since there is a very long tail of small providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to