General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craski
(member) Sun 28-Feb-16 15:44:59
Print Post

30 Mbps today, you're seconds away*

[link to this post]

Got this Avanti flyer through the post. Look at it, what a load of bull!
http://postimg.org/image/9htpv7cr9/

The wording is clearly designed to scare less tech savvy users into taking advantage of this "one time offer".
Not one mention of latency.
Since when was a 76cm dish small, its not exactly discreet is it.
If anybody actually needs a >24Mbps connection then I'm struggling to see how a 30GB data allowance can be considered adequate and there is not one mention of what charges you face if going over your measly data allowance.

No thanks Avanti, I wont be recommending this to any friends or neighbours smile
It is so disappointing that Aberdeenshire Council are supporting wide spread promotion of this sub standard solution.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sun 28-Feb-16 16:01:34
Print Post

Re: 30 Mbps today, you're seconds away*

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Leicestershire county council is promoting it too : ( Mean while in the middle of north wales i have seen fibre to the distribution point being installed! Miles from any significant population!
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sun 28-Feb-16 16:04:07
Print Post

Better to get 50gb of data from EE for £50 a month! 60 down, 30 up from my location!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craski
(member) Sun 28-Feb-16 16:14:38
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

Agreed ... and no "small" dish required smile

In the past I've favoured a 3Mb ADSL line over a satellite connection and faced with the same options again, I'd still prefer a slow ADSL line to satellite. Its a MASSIVE cop out to use this to meet BDUK targets.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Feb-16 17:23:54
Print Post

To date the satellite service is meeting the 2 Mbps USC target generally, though there is a limited amount of trial work on the superfast versions.

USC I am just about OK with, but not happy with pushing it as a superfast option

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 28-Feb-16 20:01:14
Print Post

Which part of Aberdeenshire?

Just wait until the new Viasat satellites are up - they have a potential total throughput of 1Tbps ... unfortunately not for a while yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User craski
(member) Sun 28-Feb-16 20:21:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

My area is in the "Exploring Solutions" category and we have D-side cables which are about ~5km long and I'm told by local OR engineers, no space in ducts to run any more so I'm assuming that they are targeting properties at a postcode level for postcodes which have so far not received any benefit from BDUK and are causing them a problem to meet their BDUK targets within budget.

For me, it wouldnt matter how much throughput the satellites had, I'd still be against using geostationary satellites for broadband based on the latency issue alone. If the sat operators ever manage to get a constellation of Low-Earth-Orbit sats serving broadband, that might just be enough to get an acceptable latency.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 28-Feb-16 20:24:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

ViaSat-2 - 2017
ViaSat-3 - 2019

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Feb-16 22:47:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by craski:
Since when was a 76cm dish small, its not exactly discreet is it.

You can get clear dishes, however you can still see the mounting kit and LNB and its arm.

Paul
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 28-Feb-16 22:59:39
Print Post

I've been using Geo's for over 20 years. With a good connection latency is not really an issue except for time sensitive applications. I even use voice over them and once the delay is understood, conversation is not a problem either. With a Geo, the latency is consistent.

With Leo networks the delay can be extremely variable, switch through satellites and ground stations introduces other issues and what if you are connected to one satellite, that then passes the connection to a second then to a third before it is relayed back to the ground, potentially in a remote ground station.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to