General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Feb-16 23:04:41
Print Post

What cables we are responsible for...

[link to this post]

Hey all

I was on the phone last night to try and get my line reset and to get my replacement HH4 that was requested 5 days ago where nothing was done then.

For some reason BT India hung up on me when I was explaining the issue, everything was in a calm peaceful manner, so maybe they knocked the hang-up button, who knows.

So I phoned again where I was presented with an automated messaged stating that there is a detected fault on the line and that they will do an automated line test that required me to hang up, so I did.

I got an automated phone call saying that there is no fault on my line and that we can request for an engineer to visit to check everything including wiring.

This is where it goes bad, they say that "ALL" internal wiring is our responsibility and if misused we will be charged £130.

How is that fair when the stupid engineer installed the [censored] cable between the BT80 and the NTE5a Master Socket under our carpet under the door frame, its stupid, of course that cable is going to get damaged over time.

So due to that engineer being [censored] lazy to go round the door frame we would have to foot the £130 due to the cable falling apart due to ware and tear and people walking over it, my mother is disabled and has been for many years now so a wheel chair is used.

The way I see it, if we are responsible for it then I am just going to replace the whole [censored] thing myself.

I have the reel of cable and Gel Crimps.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sun 28-Feb-16 23:12:04)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Feb-16 23:14:26
Print Post

Re: What cables we are responsible for...

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

It is the grand order of [censored] covering ...

If they don't warn you that some things may evoke a charge then many more people would complain saying "Well no one told us we might get charged".

If I had to be pedantic I'd say the interpretation is that since the cabling is internal to your property you have some responsibility not to damage it. (This goes for external cabling too if attached to the wall)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Feb-16 23:28:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
It is the grand order of [censored] covering ...

If they don't warn you that some things may evoke a charge then many more people would complain saying "Well no one told us we might get charged".

If I had to be pedantic I'd say the interpretation is that since the cabling is internal to your property you have some responsibility not to damage it. (This goes for external cabling too if attached to the wall)
Well the [censored] word was blood with a y at the end.

And yes I understand what you are saying, but its the fault of the engineer that tucked the cable under the carpet, its been there about 3 to 5 years now and the outer sheath has fallen apart and the wires in places are no longer twisted, so in my eyes that's not missed used and is in fact wear and tear, is my mother suppose to bunny hop her wheel chair over it.

I might phone the BT Executive switchboard on Monday to enquire about it and what can be done about it, because I don't think we should have to pay due to the engineers incompetence.

Don't get me wrong I have no issues with BT Engineers, due to we have had many BT Engineers visits over the years and they all have been fine apart from this one engineer.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Feb-16 02:27:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

If BT decide to send out an engineer to resolve the cable issue for free, what are the chances of them relocating the boxes to another room at the front of the house that the cable goes by, like the front room up stairs, due to like I have already stated in other posts that we are very close to getting our FTTP completed (about 50 months delay) and where that needs at least one or two power sockets near the master socket, and not having any near where it is now.

And by moving it to the empty room up stairs front room which does have power sockets available and also easy access our phone extension and LAN.

I would hate for loads of fibre cables to be installed downstairs so that it reaches a power socket for a wheel chair wheel or somebody to step on it breaking the fibre.

Paul
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Feb-16 09:25:13
Print Post

3 to 5 years - how long do you expect them to warranty a cable for?

The cable is on the customer side of the NTE so you can replace it yourself - it is your cable.

Get some Cat5 cable, connect pins 2 and 5 at the NTE faceplate to the same pair (most people use the blue pair). Run the cable around whatever route is most suitable and connect the other end to the extension socket using the same wires on the 2 and 5.

All cabling beyond the NTE5 is customer responsibility. BT installed it as part of another job but any warranty would have long run out.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Feb-16 09:36:18
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
3 to 5 years - how long do you expect them to warranty a cable for?

The cable is on the customer side of the NTE so you can replace it yourself - it is your cable.

Get some Cat5 cable, connect pins 2 and 5 at the NTE faceplate to the same pair (most people use the blue pair). Run the cable around whatever route is most suitable and connect the other end to the extension socket using the same wires on the 2 and 5.

All cabling beyond the NTE5 is customer responsibility. BT installed it as part of another job but any warranty would have long run out.
Its the cable between the BT80 and the NTE5A.

I am aware cables coming off the NTE5A is ours, but its the cable going into it that is falling apart.

Paul
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Feb-16 09:54:18
Print Post

Ah, sorry - misread your post. In that case they are the responsibility of BT and therefore should be replaced at their cost. They will warn their "could" be a charge "if" it is your internal cabling - but if this is the only part they replace then they are not entitled to charge.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Feb-16 10:06:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Ah, sorry - misread your post. In that case they are the responsibility of BT and therefore should be replaced at their cost. They will warn their "could" be a charge "if" it is your internal cabling - but if this is the only part they replace then they are not entitled to charge.
Yeah, its the only cable that I haven't touched, all cables leaving the NTE5A are CAT5e cables including the data cable going upstairs to the middle of the house.

I just didn't want to get blamed for their cable due to it falling apart.

As for getting it relocated to a more convenient location like the upstairs front room where our other line is located, due to it might be awkward to do due to wall units etc.
I will find out when I phone their executive switchboard later today.

Paul
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Feb-16 12:32:54
Print Post

Ah, you meant a block terminal. I thought it was some sort of router or hub. BT is definitely responsible for the wiring from that to the back of the master socket.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User lee111s
(member) Mon 29-Feb-16 12:52:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Basically you're responsible for anything AFTER the NTE, hence network termination equipment. It is the end of the Openreach network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to