General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kingdongo89
(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-16 22:00:24
Print Post

ADSL2 vs Broadband??

[link to this post]

I recently have cable internet and at the moment im paying $50.00 a month for 100mbps down, 15 mbps up. AT&T is offering me ADSL2 75mbps down and 5MBPS up for $53.00. All i use my internet service for is netflix, gaming.and streaming. Do i even need 100mbps down?? is ADSL2 better then cable/broadband?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-16 22:03:56
Print Post

Re: ADSL2 vs Broadband??

[re: kingdongo89] [link to this post]

ADSL2 only goes up to 12 Mbps. Maybe they mean VDSL2?

How many users in your household?

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Mar-16 22:26:36
Print Post

[re: kingdongo89] [link to this post]

So lower speeds in both directions costs more on whatever xDSL2 service it is, (as BatBoy says, ADSL2 maxes out at 12Mbps), and you wonder if you need the higher speed.

Aren't you asking the wrong question?

Or does your cable service have poor throughput and video stuttering - in other words is it congested so the connection speed is good but throughput unreliable?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-16 23:39:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Just me and my father but all he does is watch movies all day since he's old and retired. I got him netflix, hulu,and amazon to keep him busy. All i do is play video games at night when i come out from work. I'm a huge gamer so all i want is lag free and a high ping, plus fast download speed to download updates and games.
(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-16 23:42:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

With this website download file test i've noticed it takes longer to download something on the cable end then the AT&T one. Is VDSL2 better then cable since im not sharing a node?
  Print Thread

Jump to