General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mahir007
(newbie) Wed 16-Mar-16 18:49:42
Print Post

Virgin Media Homeworks + 300Mbps, what is this??

[link to this post]

So I was just browsing Virgin Media's bundle page just seeing how much it would cost altogether since Virgin Media were finally expanding into Poplar, East London (they started cabling our block of flats today) and I when I went down into the extras, I saw this Virgin Media 300Mbps service available as an extra.
Virgin Media Homeworks + Up to 300Mbps.
I was a bit confused since I thought the max down speed they offered was 200Mbps, so what is this then?? Do they actually offer 300Mbps, if so why is it hidden in the extras?

TRU BO$$

Edited by Mahir007 (Wed 16-Mar-16 18:50:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Mar-16 21:10:59
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Homeworks + 300Mbps, what is this??

[re: Mahir007] [link to this post]

Virgin Media is offering a 300 Mbps to SME users and HomeWorks as a name suggests that category

We saw 300 Mbps being tested last year

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Mar-16 22:38:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mahir007:
I was a bit confused since I thought the max down speed they offered was 200Mbps, so what is this then?? Do they actually offer 300Mbps, if so why is it hidden in the extras?

Someone messed up; this shouldn't be there yet as it's not been officially launched. Oops!

This is the product especially for people who work from home.

It bridges the gap between the standard residential services and the 300Mb business service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Thu 17-Mar-16 08:17:30
Print Post

If only it came with a static IP, and an increase in upload/removal of upload traffic management!!
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Mar-16 11:32:22
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
If only it came with a static IP, and an increase in upload/removal of upload traffic management!!

Did you call in and ask what it comes with?

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 17-Mar-16 13:52:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just called up and added it to my account. 3 months minimum contract on the website, however told on the phone it's just a 30 day contract. £9.99, 300mbps with 1 static IP.

Order failed with outsourced call centre. Spoke to Swansea, order replaced and corrected, however you need to have a Superhub 3.0, which costs an additional one off charge of £9.99.

Edited by Bryer (Thu 17-Mar-16 14:26:37)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Fri 18-Mar-16 10:02:25
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Just a little update to this for you guys. Service dropped yesterday afternoon while I was at work. Got home to do some more testing as the wife said that web pages were loading with minimal loading (we've always had to wait for things to resolve).

Latency has dropped by around 3ms getting a solid 8-9ms at all times, with what appears to be a more reliable speed, throughout the peak time in my area (currently on 200 as no SH3 yet for the extra channels). Was getting between 160-175 at peak times, now getting a solid 182-200 during the peak window of 6pm to midnight.

It would appear that my frequencies have been changed slightly from before the Homeworks add-on, so if you're a gamer this could be a worthwhile add-on.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:11:53
Print Post

Do you have a BQM monitoring that?

Those kind of quality changes might make VM a viable choice for work purposes, as an alternative to our 80/20 FTTC line. Absolute speed, I'm less worried about, but reliable consistent behaviour I am.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Fri 18-Mar-16 14:15:46
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

So depending on what you are doing and to where depends on your ping.

Speedtests to all Virgin Media servers at Speedtest.net show a 3ms ping drop.

The BQM's are showing a smaller decrease in ping. Down from 21ms to 19ms.

F8lure BQM

TB BQM

While these may not appear to show any difference, I can assure you the connection feels a lot better than it did at the start of the week. I'll update more tomorrow one I get the Superhub 3.0 and the 300mb speeds opearting, as I'm currently missing channels.

Edited by Bryer (Fri 18-Mar-16 14:17:12)

Standard User jjpearce
(newbie) Fri 18-Mar-16 14:39:53
Print Post

I just tried to order it - when I login to my account it gives me the option to upgrade, but when I phoned to order it, I was told it is not available frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to