General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:46:50
Print Post

Numbers Game?

[link to this post]

On checking BT's 'Where and when' checker with ours and some other nearby phone numbers yesterday, I found that fibre availability on our exchange had jumped eight steps in the past week: from 'We are exploring solutions' to 'We are accepting orders'. This is curious as BT is not due to complete spine fibre cabling works to the new cabinet serving the part of the village nearest us for another 2 - 3 weeks; and more curious as the checker gives us the cabinet number for the fibre service despite our distant hamlet being due FTTH (no cabinet involved) and no sign of that being completed anytime soon.

Our ISP confirms that fibre is not in fact available from the cabinet currently serving us ADSL and no orders can be accepted yet, so is the misinformation on the BT checker due to carelessness or policy?
Standard User lee111s
(member) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:58:18
Print Post

Re: Numbers Game?

[re: sandcastle] [link to this post]

What results do you get by putting your number into here https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Mar-16 18:02:54
Print Post

Without knowing a cabinet/exchange or postcode impossible to say.

NOTE: Some FTTH areas do go live as a mixture of FTTC and FTTP, and some they dump the FTTH and just FTTC in the end. Hence its down to the specifics of an area

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Fri 18-Mar-16 20:32:54
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thanks for reply.
Exchange is Sandhurst, Kent.
The checker you suggested gives my number as:
FTTC Range A 3.7 - 1.4 &c
FTTC Range B 3.2 - 1.2
ADSL2+ up to 1
(highly fanciful, as download on common old ADSL (Zen) seldom drops below 6.3mbs)
I should have mentioned that the other half of the village may have had its cabinet enabled, but that does not alter the inaccuracy of the BT searches.

I do wonder how much annoyance and wasted effort is caused by carelessly(?) misleading people? If BT have a site which says 'We are exploring solutions" people will inevitably look for their own and maybe be persuaded to spend money on an alternative. Then for the site to still be saying the same months/years later whilst BT put in new poles, cable, manifolds, cabinets, spine fibre and the like, is beyond a joke.
Standard User lee111s
(member) Sat 19-Mar-16 01:02:57
Print Post

Looks like your line is too long (distance from the cabinet) to get any meaningful speed from fttc. You're better off staying on ADSL.
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sat 19-Mar-16 10:59:02
Print Post

Thanks.
But the question I was trying to ask was:
Why does BT put up so much misleading or just plain wrong information?
Standard User lee111s
(member) Sat 19-Mar-16 11:26:43
Print Post

Where is the misleading information?

The cabinet is accepting orders, you're just too far from the cabinet to make it worthwhile you "upgrading".
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sat 19-Mar-16 13:47:24
Print Post

You could re-read my original post.
Standard User lee111s
(member) Sat 19-Mar-16 14:12:20
Print Post

Specifically what part?

Your ISP not offering fibre? Perhaps because the speed is too low? I know BT retail offer a service called "faster broadband" for those lines that are expected to get less than 15meg on VDSL2. Some ISP's don't offer such services.

It could also be that your chose ISP's checker hasn't scraped the Openreach/Wholesale database recently enough to show that FTTC is now available on your line.

Just an FYI, you're not served ADSL from the cabinet, the ADSL DSLAM is located in the exchange.

Edited by lee111s (Sat 19-Mar-16 14:16:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Mar-16 16:14:36
Print Post

The deviil is in the detail, and from the detail the original poster has supplied hard to give detail.

If they are on cabinet 1 then it is actually live and postcodes like TN18 5NX are too far from the cabinet to get decent speeds and are getting estimates of 0.4 to 2.3 Mbps from Openreach and we say http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?postc...

The other cabinet is number 10, which is shown as in the Connect stage by Openreach, and is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.0254751,0.5686869,... and again postcodes like TN18 5PH are going to be too far away to get decent speeds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to