General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Martyjfield
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-16 22:33:39
Print Post

Can a phone line and internet be on a differant cabinet?

[link to this post]

Hi all, So all my neighbours have 40 meg but I can only get 3.2 meg!! Having spent most of Feb and March on the phone to BT I am now told by an Open reach engineer that my broadband is connected to a differant cabinet to my phone, and it is 2.5 miles away?
He passed on the details what is required to get it rerouted but open reach will not do it due to cost! Can this be the case? I asked for a new line as this in my opinion should sort the problem but was told that this is not the case. I have now not had broadband for over 3 weeks due to BT...
Can any one please offer any advice, I am going insane over this as we don't get 3 or 4 g neither... Thanks in advance Marty
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Mar-16 08:19:16
Print Post

Re: Can a phone line and internet be on a differant cabinet?

[re: Martyjfield] [link to this post]

Yes, if they are on different lines. Can you go to the checker: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post te details for BOTH lines.

Given the speed, do you have an ADSLx based service or a Faster Broadband VDSL service? If they are on different lines then why not move tfe service to the 'phone line?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Mar-16 08:35:32
Print Post

If you have two lines (one for phone, one for broadband) then yes they could conceivably go through different cabinets but it'd be a bit unusual. I can only see it happening if the second line was installed sometime after the first one. Most properties are built with multiple lines so I wouldn't think it common for BT to have to lay new cable just for a second line.

Are you sure the engineer didn't just mean that you were on a different cabinet to your neighbour? That's still going to be relatively uncommon but is probably more likely than your property having two lines fed from two different cabinets.

So all in all: It's possible, but unusual.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(committed) Thu 24-Mar-16 08:47:28
Print Post

I think everyone has misunderstood the post. DO NOT place an order for a new line, that's not required.

Sounds like the phone line is physically connected to one cabinet but the broadband has mistakenly been routed to a DSLAM connected to another cabinet.

Say for example the telephone pole (DP) is associated with cabinet 8, that's where the wires are going to. So when FTTC is ordered it needs to be routed to the DSLAM paired with cabinet 8. In this case although the DP is connected to cabinet 8, unfortunately the broadband has been routed to the DSLAM next to cabinet 3.

What needs to happen is the engineer should have done a live update on the system to show the house is indeed connected to cabinet 8. Then a cease needs to be done on the existing FTTC order. A new order needs to be requested for FTTC and it will be built, correctly, to cabinet 8.

This happens occasionally, often when at some point the telephone number in question moved from one cabinet to another but the routing wasn't updated on the system. It can also just happen for reasons unknown.

Edited by Icaras (Thu 24-Mar-16 08:48:43)

(newbie) Thu 24-Mar-16 09:16:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC, thanks for the info. Been on the checker a number of times and it shows what I thought, 4 Meg at best - copper.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Mar-16 09:19:07
Print Post

What are the actual results? Do they mention fibre at all?

Can you also post those of a neighbour.

M H C

Edited by MHC (Thu 24-Mar-16 09:19:54)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Mar-16 09:21:08
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

So, how will teh broadband be delivered? A link from "Cab3" to "Cab8"

M H C

(newbie) Thu 24-Mar-16 09:28:42
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Andrue, I think we have just the one line. Up to 3 months ago I was on cabinet 3 - 2.5 miles away but they have managed to move us to cabinet 1 which is 200 metres away. This has FFTC which my neighbours' - 40 meg. I believe it all to be about rerouting, but if they have done phone why not broad band.....
I feel I have some way to go yet to get BT and Openreach to rectify it.
Thanks again. M
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Mar-16 09:33:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
So, how will teh broadband be delivered? A link from "Cab3" to "Cab8"
I think what Icarus is saying is simply that the wrong cabinet has been enabled. So there's a line card in a DSLAM somewhere wondering where the modem is.Back in the days of engineer install it would presumably have been caught but in these days of self-install and with modems being dual VDSL/ADSL I can see how no-one might realise. Although if it were me I'd have designed the system to flag up a newly enabled line card that if it didn't achieve sync within 48 hours.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Mar-16 09:34:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Martyjfield:
Up to 3 months ago I was on cabinet 3 - 2.5 miles away but they have managed to move us to cabinet 1 which is 200 metres away.
Ah, this adds credence to what Icarus has posted. Openreach have just enabled a linecard in the wrong cabinet. If your line has just been relocated it makes even more sense.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to