General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Leithm
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-16 20:47:26
Print Post

ADSL max / ADSL 2+ / FTTC on a slow connection.

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I am with talktalk, and have had a pretty bog standard DSL connection approx 2mb for 7-8 years. Openreach have been saying for quite some time the FTTC is available but every time I call talk talk (or BT) they say No.

Finally after reading this forum I looked up my address on the ADSL check instead of my postcode, and got some more details. Looks like FTTC is indeed available but due to distance and ancient infrastructure, I can only get the following max stream speeds download.

ADSL max : 2.5 mb
ADSL 2+ : 3.5 mb
FTTC Range A or B : 4.9mb

My suspicion is that I am on ADSL max, how do I push for ADSL 2+ or FTTC even if they are not classed as superfast packages. I also cannot get the discount on SAT from the government scheme presumable because they think I can get FTTC.

Cheers
Leith
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-16 21:06:33
Print Post

Re: ADSL max / ADSL 2+ / FTTC on a slow connection.

[re: Leithm] [link to this post]

You obviously cannot use your phone number, however can you try that of your neighbours and see what they can get?

BT will NOT sell you Infinity with that sort of speed, however, they do have a "Faster Broadband" option which uses FTTC and is aimed at sub-15Mbps lines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Leithm
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-16 21:22:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I will push talktalk for that but if I have no joy will try BT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Mar-16 08:21:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
BT will NOT sell you Infinity with that sort of speed, however, they do have a "Faster Broadband" option which uses FTTC and is aimed at sub-15Mbps lines.

That might not be exactly true.

If it was not viable to sell the fibre product at that speed then it most of the time would be hidden and would say on the BTOR Where and when page that its out of reach.

But where its still listed they should be able to buy it, its better than they current ADSLx so its an improvement, I am sure BTW would still be happy to get some revenue for their fibre product to pay for its cost of installing it.

But that just my opinion.

Paul
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 30-Mar-16 08:37:22
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

You may have missed the point ... The "Faster Broadband" is FTTC however BT decided NOT to use the Infinity branding on sub-15 products so they could continue to advertise Infinity with the much higher speeds.

The biggest problem is that only a few ISPs actually sell it - BT business and consumer and a few others. Some of the larger ones do not bother.

BTs hep page: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740...

M H C

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Mar-16 08:40:36
Print Post

Can you get your line stats from the router:- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

plusnet user
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 30-Mar-16 08:40:43
Print Post

Here is the link for the BT product: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740...

You may well find TT and other do not offer an equivalent.

M H C

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Mar-16 08:45:22
Print Post

Ah, ok.

I wasn't aware that they had started supplying ADSL Speeds over Fibre for the areas far from the cabinet to get the full fibre service.

That's good to know.

Paul
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 30-Mar-16 08:47:56
Print Post

Been around for a few years ... the trick is to get someone who actually knows about it!

M H C

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 30-Mar-16 09:10:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Ah, ok.

I wasn't aware that they had started supplying ADSL Speeds over Fibre for the areas far from the cabinet to get the full fibre service.

That's good to know.

Paul

It still uses the same VDSL technology however due to line length the achievable speed is lower. Much like, those on ADSL2+ close to the exchange can get 20meg+ whereas those further away can maybe only get 2meg.

It's to do with the term "superfast" which when FTTC was originally released, Openreach said anything above 15meg was superfast and if your line couldn't achieve that then BT weren't able to sell you "superfast Infinity" so they created the "faster broadband" product. It's been around since day 1 of FTTC, it's not something new. Just not that many people know about it as it's not really advertised for some reason.

Edited by lee111s (Wed 30-Mar-16 09:46:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to