General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Shlonger
(newbie) Sun 03-Apr-16 09:54:55
Print Post

Openreach Employment

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Been through the application and assessment process and was verbally offered a position for a Home Engineer and that my training would start in a few months time. However, I have since received notification via email that no positions are available in my region (North West) at this time? The email didnt provide any further information as to what my position is now in respect of a fresh starting date. Is this the normal practice with Openreach recruitment, as anyone else had this same situation arise and did they eventually commence employment with them. It all seems a bit strange to me given Openreach are part of such a large organisation and that a position was offered in the first instance? I've never experienced such a situation which is both disappointing and so confusing.

Edited by Shlonger (Sun 03-Apr-16 10:04:23)

Standard User wakewaterblue
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-16 02:00:59
Print Post

Re: Openreach Employment

[re: Shlonger] [link to this post]

Hello! I don't know if I can help but they kept me on file for 1 year and I am about to start training so if there is no space now in your area, chances are they will keep you in mind if one does arise and keep you in file. They seem to be recruiting heavily again so try not to be disheartened and my fingers are crossed that you do hear back from them again soon

Jenny
Standard User Shlonger
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-16 09:03:30
Print Post

[re: wakewaterblue] [link to this post]

Thanks for responding Jenny and your support contained therein. Wow, a year! Was that after passing the assessment or submitting your application? The frustrating thing for me has been that after attending my assessment and receiving a phone call several days later verbally congratulating and offering me a position and a start date to commence training, I then received an unexpected email a week later advising me that no positions were available in my region? It does seem very unprofessional to send out mixed messages which leaves you not knowing when or even if, they are going to offer anything else and whether or not that the new offer will be withdrawn also. It's the not knowing.

Edited by Shlonger (Sun 10-Apr-16 09:15:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 10-Apr-16 13:22:44
Print Post

I wonder if it is possible to volunteer for another region, particularly one where you may have relatives, thinking of accommodation for a clearly longish period, posssibly a year or two?
Standard User DanJC
(learned) Mon 11-Apr-16 01:02:14
Print Post

Oh dear that's not good news!
I've done all that what you have and had the phone call and I'm due to start training on the 9th of May, I hope I don't get a similar email saying there's no longer any positions!
If I were you I'd email back and query them about it saying you were told you got a job and then had that email and just wanted it explaining a bit better.
Hopefully it works out well for you!
Standard User wakewaterblue
(newbie) Mon 11-Apr-16 03:39:12
Print Post

It sounds like they messed up a little there. You shouldn't have been invited to the assessment if they had no spaces but I guess sometimes things just go wrong somewhere along the way. I guess all it takes is 1 person to fill a spot and boom, someone else is pushed back. Lets hope you are first in line if essentially you passed and are good to go? I would chase it up to establish if you are held on file now you have passed or what to expect next?

I waited 1 year to hear from them and be invited to an assessment day which happened all quite quickly. I would have started earlier but had holiday in the wrong time so they didn't want me to start and have a holiday in the middle of training so pushed me back to start a little later.

I am just trying to understand a few more things such as pay... does it go up annually or just stay the same and how likely is it that you reach the OTE salary reaching the targets. It could mean an extra £100 or so each month.

I have so many questions but I guess all will be answered when i start training week after next

Jenny
Standard User ApuChunk
(newbie) Mon 11-Apr-16 07:57:54
Print Post

[re: wakewaterblue] [link to this post]

Yea and apologies to the forum mods but there really is lots of questions! I'm not starting until June 13th and have done all my document scanning/form filling but there are so many things I'd like to know and I cant find anywhere where its being talked about other than here! Lol!
Standard User kar87
(newbie) Mon 11-Apr-16 08:35:55
Print Post

It has taken me a year to just get to the assessment which happens tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. I'm now even more nervous because of what has happened to you. When was your assessment? What area are you in? I would email them and question it just so you get some answer and know where you stand, nothing worse than not knowing.
Standard User DanJC
(learned) Mon 11-Apr-16 11:04:05
Print Post

[re: ApuChunk] [link to this post]

I agree!
This forum has gave me more answers than anywhere else.... And then they go and close it down!
Why close a popular forum down?
The layout of the general broadband chatter page is daft too, instead of being like a normal forum and just showing the title of the thread and when it was last posted in.. It seems to show a massive long list which apparently is each and every post so yeah that's understandable as to why the thread was too large but just change the format on that main page and it won't look that way!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Apr-16 11:10:41
Print Post

[re: DanJC] [link to this post]

Take a look at the display preferences at the bottom of the "My Home" tab.

I have:-
Active in the last week
Flat mode
Collapsed threads
Parent posts per page 99
Posts per page in Flat mode 99

I also use My Home with about 21 forums listed in the Favourite forums box, rather than the slow-loading Main Index.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to