General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 18:17:26
Print Post

Disconnects since storm

[link to this post]

We had a small storm lasting 30 mins or so today around 3pm. My connection lost sync a few times during the period the storm was overhead which i would expect. Its been 2-3hrs now since the storm has passed, yet im getting regular disconnects (ranging from 5 mins to every 30 mins). Also getting quite a few CRC errors/Errored Seconds (50 or so every 20 seconds according to Routerstats).

I would have thought any electromagnetic interference would have gone by now? Its sunny outside now. Normally have a rock solid connection with not many CRC errors. Prior to the storm i was connected for a month no problem. Sync remains high, so does noise margins which dont seem to change much at all and no noise when doing the quiet line test, so everything there seems to check out.

Ive replaced the microfilter thinking the storm took it out but not solved anything. Would have expected a big drop in sync speed if the storm had taken anything out.

So could the storm still be lingering this long to cause CRC errors/ES and disconnects?

Edit: Just noticed aswell today a great big hole appeared between my house and the cabinet as there doing electricity works. That hole is now waterlogged due to the storm. Could this be a cause perhaps?

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 04-Apr-16 18:36:08)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Apr-16 18:56:36
Print Post

Re: Disconnects since storm

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

I remember being at a location checking for REIN, the noise was very apparent on my trusty radio for a long time before the first distant rumblings .... so though you cannot hear it, it may well be having an affect.

Or maybe it has subtly goosed your router ?

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 19:01:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Well noise margin is dropping just before losing sync now even with my spare router

I've been to where the electricity company have been digging and depending on the way the cables run to the cab it could be where the hole is. That hole now is waterlogged so could water cause errord seconds and loss of sync? And if so when it dries out would that stop it?

Because the storm and the hole appeared at the same time its hard to pinpoint the cause

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Apr-16 19:11:49
Print Post

OK so good that you have proved it's not the router.

I suspect if the hole was causing it you'd be getting (audible) noise on the line due to the cable damage and water ingress.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 19:15:00
Print Post

Nothing i can pick up on quiet line test. Guessing there is no way to know which way the cables run between your house and the cabinet?

If they ran to where the hole is they would have to go the long way around to the cabinet, so not 100% certain thats the way they run underground

Hopefully get nice weather tomorrow and the water will go to see if that stops the disconnects
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Apr-16 19:23:21
Print Post

Guessing there is no way to know which way the cables run between your house and the cabinet?

Nope, not unless you are in the business. You can make an educated guess, but that's all it will be.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 19:42:32
Print Post

Would i be right in thinking if any water has got into the cable/joints then once it dries out normal service should be resumed? Or is it a case of once water damage happens its irreversible?
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 20:19:34
Print Post

Hmmm, after the last disconnect my connection has been solid for 50 mins now which is the longest its been since this all started. Only 18 ES in that time but can expect a few as the sun has set.

So will have to keep an eye on it, seems odd
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Apr-16 20:27:44
Print Post

Maybe my previous statement about the affects of the electrical storm may be true ...

As for the cable drying out ..... nope, not really, damp ingress is a [censored].

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 20:38:09
Print Post

Yea maybe it was. We have had storms before though very close to where i live (seems when there is a storm in the UK its always close to my house for some reason) and it may cause 1 or 2 disconnects but thats it. Never had it like this for hours afterwards.

But then again the cables wont have dried out much tonight either as its still damp and on last inspection the hole was still flooded, so maybe that theory goes out the window too.

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 04-Apr-16 20:40:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to